Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Summing Up. Friday, October 17, 2008

I must say that Westerns have picked up speed over the course of this project. This is a really diverse group today. Thanks for contributing.

Someone suggested that I put a counter on here to determine if the number of hits I get on Fridays makes the project worth it as it hits the six-month mark. I have no idea of what is a high number, of course, but yesterday, I got 535 hits. That seems like a large enough number to journey on a bit longer, counting on our core group of book devotees to keep coming up with recommendations along with the one-timers I manage to seduce with parting gifts like the at-home version of Friday's Forgotten Books. It is, oh, so nice, when someone old or new to this project contacts me to do one instead of me having to twist their arm.

Thanks to everyone who has done one in the last six months. Truly, the fun outweighs the work for me.

Change of subject: If anyone is planning on posting a flash piece Monday, let me know where. I hate to miss anyone. Thanks.


Archavist, The Goodnight Trail, Ralph Compton
Linwood Barclay, Marathon Man, William Goldman
Cara Black, Mayhem, J. Robert James
Bill Crider, Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties, David Madden, editor
Josephine Damian, The Good Brother, Chris Offutt
Martin Edwards, The Dying Alderman, Henry Wade
Chris Ewan, Love and War in the ApenninesL, Eric Newby
Lesa Holstine, A Medieval Mystery, Kathryn Swinebrooke
Randy Johnson, Jirel of Joiry, C. L. Moore, A Collection of Fantasy Stores
Juri Nummelin, Half Breed, Clint McCall
Scott D. Parker, America at War: The Best of DC War Comics, Michael Uslan; Stolen Woman,
Wade Miller
Andrew Pyper, How Insensitive, Russell Smith
Ray, The Leather Boys, Gillian Freeman
James Reasoner, West on 66, James H. Cobb
Kerrie Smith, Maigret Takes the Waters, Georges Simenon
Susan Smith, Iron Lake, William Kent Kruger

12 comments:

Ray said...

Yes, it's nice to see some westerns in the mix. Though my pick would have to go to Kerri Smith and her reminding me of Maigret and the books by George Simenon.
This is quite a good idea so long may it flourish and grow.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Ray. Hard to believe he could write those babies in three week periods.

Randy Johnson said...

It's been many years since I read a Georges Simenon, but I remember reading an article on him back then about his speed that said he never revised. What you were reading was a first draft. I was amazed that he could be that concise on a FD. The only other writer I ever heard who did that was Louis L'Amour.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sometime it feels like I only revise, so it amazes me.

Scott D. Parker said...

Speaking for my blog, my hits (as counted in Google Analytics) always spikes on Fridays. I like it and want to continue. Thanks, Patti.

pattinase (abbott) said...

How do you do google analytics? This is another thing called statcounter.

Scott D. Parker said...

Here is the main link (http://www.google.com/analytics/). You sign up and tell it which blog you want to monitor. It takes a day to get both things talking to each other. From then on, it's fun to watch and study all the ways folks find the blog in question.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks Scott. I'll give it a try.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Crap. I forgot to put up my post yesterday. Maybe I'll do a two-fer next Friday.

That is quite a range of recommendations. I've read a couple of them and will track down a few others for future reading.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Patrick. I'll look for you.

chriso said...

Josephine Damian, The Good Brother, Chris Offutt, thanks a bundle.

Paul Bishop said...

Hey!

Just to let you know I'm still in the mix on Fridays.

Here's a couple from the past two weeks. I'll post up a new one tonight.

http://bishsbeat.blogspot.com/2008/10/forgotten-books-embrace-wolf-by.html

http://bishsbeat.blogspot.com/2008/10/forgotten-books-hazell-and-three-card_10.html

Thanks for keeping up with all of this. It's a great project.

Paul