Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Shiny People
















I have always wondered about guys who claim they grew up wanting to be in a rock band. That is, until I met my grandson. You cannot sever him from his guitar or drums. He is 23 months old and already he takes it completely seriously. Notice how dedicated he is in these pics. What happened to stuffed animals and Seame Street. He's all about dancing and playing his "tar."

The only trouble is, Kevin only wants to play one song and that one song is driving us crazy. We did it more than a dozen times today. And as we drifted away finally, we heard a plaintive "Happy?"
So we are looking for help. What songs other than REM's "Happy, Shiny, People" might he like? It has to have a video we can find on Youtube for inspiration. And preferrably one with a red-haired girl dancing wildly. He likes those girls.

8 comments:

Ray said...

For guitar - Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton. Slash would be a bit too grown up.

Drums - Tony Meehan, Sandy Nelson, Gene Krupa or Keith Moon (The Who).
At 23 months he could always talk about 'My Generation'.

By the by - Forgotten book up - a day early as I'm going walkabout for a while.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, thanks, Ray. I'll get it on the list.

John McFetridge said...

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmVn6b7DdpA

And for some reason, a lot of kids like Bob Marley.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Cute, John. Thanks.

Barrie said...

I have a teen with a guitar permanently slung over his shoulder. Teen. 23 months. Not much different!

Barrie said...

Patti, I put up a Friday's Forgotten Books post on The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravtiz by Mordecai Richler.

Anonymous said...

well, Neko Case is a red head AND plays guitar (plantive country-ish stuff, not a million miles away from Lucinda Williams)

she's got lots of stuff up on youtube.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Gordon. Sounds like someone I might like too.
Hey if you come back here how about writing a review of a forgotten book for me. My email is aa2579@wayne.edu
I tried to track you down but couldn't figure out how to put comments on your blog.