Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Go With Me, Castle Freeman


Go With Me tells the story of a young woman's quest for help in dealing with an extremely dangerous man almost entirely in dialog. And what dialog it is, managing to be utterly natural and wholly poetic at the same time. I don't think the vagaries and parlance of conversation have even been put down on paper more convincingly.

This lean book is funny, scary, touching and unpredictable. It reminds me of both Daniel Woodrell and Cormac McCarthy. But in the end, it's Castle Freeman's totally unique voice and humanity that makes this such a fine book.

Isn't it terrific when you discover a new writer? Or when your daughter discovers one and tells you about him? Thanks. hon. What was the last book someone recommended to you that was as good as promised?

4 comments:

Dave Zeltserman said...

It's a clever book; the modern retelling of an Arthurian tale under the guise of a crime novel. Complete with giants, trolls and a dragon.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, boy. I never saw it. Now I'll have to read it again. I am just no good at referencing fairy tales and legends--maybe because I never read them. A really literal mind.

Clare2e said...

Okay, I'm intrigued! I'm Kindling a sample tout suite!

pattinase (abbott) said...

And let me know what you think. I was amazed at how he moved the plot with almost all dialog. Also amazed at how I read it strictly on its own terms, missing all the allusions.