Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Forgotten Movies: THE GIRL WITH GREEN EYES




In my continuing homage to Rita Tushingham, here is another little gem starring Rita, Lynn Redgrave (first film) and Peter Finch made in 1964. It's part of a trilogy of novels written by Edna O'Brien called COUNTRY GIRLS TRILOGY about a country girl who comes to the big city (Dublin). It was banned in Ireland (the books) for the frank portrayal of sexuality in young women. It's a smashing film. And if you haven't read O'Brien, it's a good place to start. Another nearly forgotten writer.

I love the rough and tumble way everything is done in this film. Not a bit of slick in it.

Other forgotten films should be linked by Todd Mason.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great choice. It's so forgotten that even though I know I saw it I had a hard time remembering it. I'd forgotten that Lynn Redgrave played the friend.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

Actually, in real life Tushingham was a year older than Redgrave.

The first one I really noticed was GEORGY GIRL.

Jeff M.

Ron Scheer said...

I enjoyed Rita Tushingham's films; they came along at the same time I made (and loved) my first trip to the UK. I remember only that her character becomes involved with an older man (Peter Finch). My only memory of it is that at one point in the film he is driven to say, "This is beyond human endurance." The line has always stuck with me and I find frequent use for it. Thanks.

Ron Scheer said...

Ha. The line (or something close to it) is in the trailer. Just discovered it.

iluvcinema said...

Ooh I think I have seen this and quite recently too. Rita Tushingham's films - those that I have seen - are quite enjoyable to watch.

I love the feel of post WWII England and Ireland. Seems worlds away.

Anonymous said...

Didn't see it, have no memory of it, and haven't read O'Brien. A total miss this time. This was made (released) in 1964, you say, and that's when I went into the U.S. Army, so maybe that's how I missed it, doesn't seem to be something they'd have at the one movie house on base. I'll have to find it to see, it looks like a film I'd enjoy.

Paul D Brazill said...

Smashing choice.

Cap'n Bob said...

I've always liked Rita. Not exactly pretty but very desirable anyway.I haven't seen this flick, tho.