Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Summing Up for Friday, May 30th

(And check out http://jamesreasoner.blogspot.com/
for a second look at The January Corpse, recommended by Kevin Smith two weeks ago)

Joe Boland, Lightening of the Sun, Robert Bingham
Gerard Brennan, Sacrifice of the Fools, Ian McDonald
Ken Bruen, Michigan Roll, Tom Kakonis
Bill Crider, The Hot-Shot, Fletcher Flora
Deborah (Knit Lady) Brat Farrar, Josephine Tey
Stephen Elliott, (an extensive list: see link from yesterday)
Alison Gaylin, The Dice Man, Luke Reinhart
Charles Gramlich, Desert Dog, Jim Kjelgaard
Lisa Kenney, The Dogs of March, Ernest Hebert
Kristy Kiernan, Into the Road, Adrienne Richard
Steve Lewis, Too Much Poison, Anne Rowe
Brian Lindenmuth, (an extensive list of forgotten Sci-Fi: see link)
Dick Lochte, The Honest Dealer, Frank Gruber
Stuart MacBride, Shooting Dr. Jack, Norman Green, Diamond Dove, Adrian Hyland
Todd Mason, Alfred Hitchcock: Stories to be Read with the Door Locked, edited by Harold Q. Masur
Jason Pinter, The Long Walk, Stephen King
Sandra Seaman, The Quiet Game, Greg Iles
Andi Shechter, Cut to the Quick, Kate Ross
Clea Simon, A Place of Greater Safety, Hilary Mantel
Wallace Stroby, The Rare Coin Score, Richard Stark
Dave Zeltserman, The Captain, Seymour Shubin

Thanks to all these folks and I hope they'll return with another favorite soon.

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll have to check out some of these others. I visit James Reasoner's blog regularly. Thanks for listing me.

I couldn't seem to find the link to Brian Lindenmuth's blog about SF books though.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Here it is. And thanks for participating.
http://www.mysterybookspot.com/brianlindenmuth/

Peter Rozovsky said...

Damn me, if I ever write a book, I want Dick Lochte to blurb it, and I'll give him the whole back cover if I have to. That's quite an enticing description.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Peter Rozovsky said...

How about picking a label for all your forgotten-books articles and lists? I'd like to able to call them all up with one click.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

pattinase (abbott) said...

Peter-Can you tell me how to do that exactly? I've been wanting to.
And you're right about Dick Lochte. He's magnificent.

Peter Rozovsky said...

Under the box where you type a new post, you’ll see a long, thin white box with the words “Labels for this post” to its left. Decide on a category for each post. For a “Forgotten Books” post, you might simply type Forgotten Books. If you want to index the post in more than one category, separate the categories by commas. Under the Lochte post, you might type Forgotten Books, Dick Lochte, authors, Frank Gruber in that little box.

Then, when you publish the post, right under the post the word Labels: will appear followed by each of the categories:

Labels: Forgotten Books, Dick Lochte, authors, Frank Gruber

Once that happens, anyone clicking on one of the labels will bring up every post on your blog that has been indexed with that label. Clicking on Forgotten Books will bring up all the “Forgotten Books” posts. It’s the handiest blogging feature that I know of.

===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think I figured out in the middle of the night. Thanks, Peter. Just have to decide if everything needs to be shoved into categories or I can just do that more important one.

Peter Rozovsky said...

I don't think you need to do it for all of them, though it wouldn't take much effort to do so, and labels don't make posts any harder to read. They're useful for subjects that you discuss frequently or regular features. A reader who like your home-town photos might welcome the chance to find more of them with one click.

I don't know if labeling a post increases the chances that search engined will find it. You'll have to ask someone with more technical knowledge than I have.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yeah, I'm making my way slowly through the three years of posts. I always meant to learn how so thanks for the nudge.

Peter Rozovsky said...

You'll be happy know that your Forgotten Books list is paying off. I had not heard of Frank Gruber before, but I noticed his name on a book-shopping trip this week, and I picked up one of his titles. Thanks.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Peter Rozovsky said...

And a big heads-up for Diamond Dove or, as it's known in the U.S., Moonlight Downs.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/