Saturday, April 25, 2015

How I Came to Write This Book: Alex Azar


Growing up, while most kids my age were watching Thundercats and Voltron, I was watching those as well. However, I also found myself gravitating to my father's VHS collection, more specifically the black and white mysteries. I remember watching "The Thin Man" starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles, and loving every minute of every joke I was too young to understand. That movie, along with "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep" led me to reading their respective literary influences and the other books by Dashiell Hammett, and Raymond Chandler.  Maybe not so naturally, reading those books led me to H.P. Lovecraft and his weird world of Cthulhu Mythos, and from then on I was hooked.  I crafted Detective James S. Peckman's world with influences from each of those authors, and countless others, while still trying to make it unique to my view.  That's why I have the detective take on all manner of bizarre cases, and this is why much of the book takes place in my home state of New Jersey, which I'm not afraid to admit I'm proud to be from.

Nightmare Noir opens the casebook of Detective James S. Peckman, taking us into the underbelly of a world where true evil exists. After his wife and daughter died under supernatural circumstances, Peckman left the police force to pursue the monsters most believe exist only in nightmares. Now, Peckman and his partners take the cases that cannot be explained in the world we think we know.

Alex Azar is an author born and raised in New Jersey. He made the courageous decision to leave the glamorous life of an electrical engineer student behind and concentrate full time on his life long passion of writing. He is now a happily struggling author. This is his first full length publication.

TJ Halvorsen has worked for many of the major comic companies as a penciler, inker and background artist. TJ attended the Joe Kubert School for Cartoon and Graphic Design and earned his Associate's Degree in Graphic Design from the University of Colorado.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Noir-Alex-Azar/dp/0991582578/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thanks for hosting Alex.

Alex - Thanks for sharing your story. Fascinating how often films inspire people. And some of those old films are just fantastic. Wishing you much success.

George said...

I'll read anything with the Cthulhu Mythos in it!

Diana azar said...

I liked the book a lot. It remind me when I was watching the thin man together, and he asked about the dog is name remember.