Wednesday, April 01, 2015

First Wednesday Book Review Club: HUSH HUSH



A welcome return of Tess Monaghan in a fine addition to the series. Tess is now a mother and that role makes her both suited and ill-suited to looking into security issues for a woman, Melisandre Dawes, who murdered her infant daughter on a hot day one August.

Dawes got off, suffering from PPD, but her return to Baltimore more than a decade later stirs up trouble for her two surviving daughters (now teens) her former husband, now remarried, and his new wife and son. Throw into the mix an attempt of Melisandre to tell her story via a documentary film maker and someone who seems to have it in for Tess. This is a well-populated tale but Lippman is skillful in keeping it sorted out for the reader.

I enjoyed seeing Tess cope with motherhood in a palpably loving yet very human way.  I love Lippman's standalones, but this novel functioned as both. We had a nice mix of Tess and her gang along with the gaggle of girls who occupied this case.  A very fine novel indeed.

For more book reviews, see Barrie Summy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Tess Monaghan is a solid character, Patti, and I've always liked the Baltimore setting for most of her series. Glad this one is up to Lippmann's standard.

Sarah Laurence said...

I haven't read this series but I can see its appeal. Thanks for the review!

Barrie said...

I'll definitely read this. I thought Tess was great before and am looking forward to hanging out with her again :) Thanks for reviewing!

Linda McLaughlin said...

I haven't read the series either, but this one sounds good. Nice to know it works as a standalone.

Cloudbuster said...

Great review. Thanks for sharing!

David Cranmer said...

Lippman can write! Will add this to my list. Thanks, Patti!

pattinase (abbott) said...

She sure can!

Rose said...

Thanks for reminding me of this series by Lippmann. I haven't read one of her books in several years and had forgotten how much I enjoyed a couple of her earlier books. Will definitely check this one out!

Ellen Booraem said...

The series is new to me but it sounds compelling. Thanks for the intro!