Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tuesday's Forgotten Movies: Ruby in Paradise





Kind of an amazing debut in 1993 for Ashley Judd and one of those summer indie movies which makes things bearable. I was reminded of this little gem by Elizabeth Olsen's debut this year. Victor Nunez directed and seems to have fallen into obscurity. Sad.

You can get the idea of what the plot was about from the clip. Can men leave Ruby alone long enough for her to survive?

Some women are just too pretty for this world. I really admire movies that attempt to delineate a life. So rare. The little Florida souvenir shop really caught my fancy. How many of those have I visited over the years, bringing home little souvenirs of the trip? Too many.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - I like movies that focus on people's lives too if they're not too slow-moving, and this one seems as though it's not. Thanks for highlighting it.

Todd Mason said...

No, it's still probably the best film Judd has done. Though I'm mildly fond of BUG.

Also interesting, to me, as one of a small slew of rather feminist films produced and/or distributed by the revived Republic Pictures of the 1990s...BOUND, FREEWAY, LIVE NUDE GIRLS (a title that often puts people off), and RUBY IN PARADISE.

Anonymous said...

We happened on this one by accident on HBO (probably) and enjoyed it so much we've watched it a couple of times since). Just about everything in it works and I loved the setting. We've never been to that side of Florida but it made it quite appealing.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I've been on that side more than yours although never the pan-handle.
Charming movie.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Nice choice Patti - I'm not a big Ashley Judd fan either really but this is a very decent movie (othwrsie I think she really has made at least half a dozen too many of those wife scorned/revenge/woman-in-peril thrillers).

pattinase (abbott) said...

I guess that's what she's offered. She should have settled for smaller bucks and an Indie career, I think.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Todd and Sergio - I can't stand to watch her in those overwrought thriller roles, like the recent TV series.


Jeff M.

Yvette said...

I've never seen this, Patti, though I think I might, one of these days. I have to be in the mood for these quiet independent things. I like Ashley Judd and it's always surprised me how limited her career has been.

Though I guiltily admit I liked the film in which her hubby frames her for murder and she gets sent to prison then escapes to get her revenge. A popcorn film, but sometimes that's all I want.

George said...

I'm with you on Ashley Judd's career decisions, Patti. Like Jennifer Aniston, Ashley Judd should have pursued more quality roles in indy movies.

Erik Donald France said...

Ashley Judd is terrific, at least via the things I've seen her in so far.