Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Life at the Theater: Frankie and Johnny at the Clair De Lune


You may have seen the movie version of this with Al and Michelle. The play was much better. It needs to be small and intimate to work. One of my favorite experiences as a play-goer. We saw in 1990 at the Attic Theater in Detroit. One of Detroit's gems that slipped away.

The play was written by Terence McNally, and in this version, directed by the wonderful Lavinia Moyer, starred two local actors who are always terrific: Mary F. Bremer and David L. Regal. If two people ever lit up the stage, these two did. And neither of them were young or gorgeous. It was on the words and talent alone. It's a first date between a waitress and a cook who have been there before. It's sweaty and desperate and we fall in love with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Michelle was idiotic casting. I can't say I loved the play because we saw Carol Kane, not one of my favorite (mumbling) actresses. The male lead was Bruce Weitz.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, not Carol Kane. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Patti - I'm more familiar with the film than with the play. I'll bet the story really is better as a play though...