Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Forgotten Movies: That Cold Day in the Park


Ah, Sandy Dennis. No one ever brought a stranger presence or delivery to a film. This is an early Altman film. (You can see most of it on you tube if nowhere else).

A lonely woman brings home a vagrant (to keep her company) and provides for his needs, even going so far as to provide him with a sexual partner (not herself).

Sandy Dennis died young. In a house full of cats. Would you expect anything else? Wow. I miss you, Sandy.

Sandy Dennis studied under noted thespian and teacher Uta Hagen before gaining fame for her work on Broadway. There she won two consecutive Tony Awards for her performances in A Thousand Clowns in 1963 and Any Wednesday in 1964. In 1966, she was given an Academy Award for best supporting actress in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolfe. She won a Golden Globe in 1970 for her role in The Out-of-Towners.

TODD MASON HAS SOME OTHERS RIGHT HERE.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - Oh, I've never seen this one but I agree with you about Sandy Dennis. Thanks for the reminder about this particular film.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sandy was an odd one. In the 60's we seemed to see her in everything - Virginia Woolf, Up the Down Staircase, Sweet November (a movie which did NOT cry out to be remade), this one, culminating in 1970 with the perfect role for her, Jack Lemmon's wife in The Out-of-Towners.

I remember the shock when I read that she was married to Gerry Mulligan, but then it turned out they weren't married, just living together.


Jeff M.

Todd Mason said...

He had a thing for very independent (and rather shortlived, in a macabre coincidence) blondes. Shock?

Amusingly (to me), I saw the no-budget punk take-off on this first, NO SKIN OFF MY ASS, which unsurprisingly makes its debt abundantly clear by having the characters watch part of this one onscreen.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can't imagine here married or even living with anyone.
Never heard of NSOMA, Todd.

George said...

I'm a big fan of Sandy Dennis, too. A very underrated actress.

Todd Mason said...

You haven't missed much with NO SKIN, Patti. It was a rather weak as well as self-conscious echo.

Deb said...

Not only was Sandy in a relationship with Gerry Mulligan, after they broke up she lived for a time with Eric Roberts. But she always gave the impression of being lonely; perhaps it's no surprise that she became a "cat lady."

Charles Gramlich said...

Another one I never heard of. Where movies are concerned, it seems I've had my head under a rock for a long time.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And I see too many!

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Never heard of this film or Sandy Dennis before. I'll watch it on YouTube.

Yvette said...

Never heard of this one either. The only Sandy Dennis film I really remember is THE FOX, which was a silly story of thwarted love. Though it had some rather good photography.

Not so underrated if she won two Tonys and an Oscar. :)

I knew she died young. I didn't know about the cats. Sad.

There are certain actors who have such weird screen presence that they seem to become stars in spite of themselves.

Zachery Scott was another.