Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Tuesday's Forgotten Movies,THE PUMPKIN EATER

Written by Harold Pinter, based on a book by Penelope Mortimer, and directed by Jack Clayton, this 1964 film is about Jo, a woman with eight children and three husbands, who's miserable still. Peter Finch, a writer, is the third hubby.

A psychiatrist posits that Jo is unable to enjoy sex without procreation being part of it, thus all the kids. Love a psychological story.

Another outstanding British film from the sixties. Character studies were a great strength. Four year later, Anne looked much younger in THE GRADUATE.


For more films, see Todd Mason.

7 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

A really great movie - I was lucky enough a few years ago to go to a masterclass by Harold Pinter and he singled this film as one of his best experiences as a screenwriter - and along with the genuine star power and the subtle fireorks of the dialogue it is also a beautifully shot and controlled movie - great choice for today.

Sergio

George said...

I'm a big Harold Pinter fan, but I haven't seen this one. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll track it down.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Wish they showed it more often on TV.

Ron Scheer said...

Anne Bancroft. Be still my heart. . .

Anita Page said...

I remember liking this. We just watched "Girl With the Green Eyes," another film I'd forgotten about until you mentioned it, Patti. Lovely and sad.

pattinase (abbott) said...

One of those films that stay with you. Although I must have seen it in my early teens.

Erik Donald France said...

This looks fantastic~~ cheers!