Friday, August 31, 2012

From Deb in Louisiana



Thank you everyone who has asked about my situation here in Slidell. I'm happy to report that after a four-day evacuation to Natchitoches (which was actually quite fun because our oldest daughter goes to school at Northwestern State, plus we were staying at a Bed & Breakfast owned by an old college buddy of my husband's), a neighbor who had stayed called to let us know power was back in our area, so we drove back home today.

Our area did not flood and our home was fine--although the back yard is a shambles, full of fallen tree limbs, and everything in fridge & freezer had to be tossed out due to loss of power. But who cares? Compared to Katrina, when I came back six weeks later my home and everywhere else was still devastated, it was like returning from vacation.

However, many people have not been so fortunate: there was flooding from both the bayous and Lake Pontchartrain, so neighborhoods in two sections of town have major damage. Please think good thoughts for those people--like the teacher I work with who had to be rescued from her attic--both on the Northshore and those in Plaquemines Parish, and those in the coastal areas if Mississippi, which were very hard hit.

If you can manage a donation to the Red Cross, I know that would be appreciated too.

*****

We've spent this morning clearing out fridge and freezer--realizing in the process that we sure do buy a lot of food that we "forget" about--I threw out crawfish, shrimp, talapia, brisket, deer sausage, etc. I'm going to take this opportunity to clean the freezer thoroughly and vow in the future to keep better track of the food I put in it! Tomorrow--yard clean up!

But I do feel so blessed to have made it through with such minimal damage. Based on my Katrina experience, I know that people with major damage have only just begun the clean up process--and processing what happened emotionally and mentally, which is in its own way much harder.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers.



Posted by D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plaquemines looked particularly hard hit this time. Glad you and your home came through it OK, Deb.

Jeff M.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're doing okay. I haven't heard from a couple of folks in N. O., so I hope they've fared well, too.

George said...

Glad you, your family, and your home survived Isaac! But, you're right about all the other people who are suffering from the after-effects of the storm. Coincidentally, my niece lives in Slidell, too. Like you, she lost the food in her fridge. But the power is back on and the clean-up begins.

Deb said...

I've spent this morning clearing out fridge and freezer--realizing in the process that we sure do buy a lot of food that we "forget" about--I threw out crawfish, shrimp, talapia, brisket, deer sausage, etc. I'm going to take this opportunity to clean the freezer thoroughly and vow in the future to keep better track of the food I put in it! Tomorrow--yard clean up!

But I do feel so blessed to have made it through with such minimal damage. Based on my Katrina experience, I know that people with major damage have only just begun the clean up process--and processing what happened emotionally and mentally, which is in its own way much harder.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers.