Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday's Forgotten Books, August 17, 2012











This books pays homage to the setup of Tey's DAUGHTER OF TIME, by placing Morse in a hospital where the murder of a woman a century earlier draws his interest.

He is given a book to pass the time, which recounts the murder of Joanna Franks on an Oxford canal trip in the year 1859. With the help of a librarian at the Bodleian Library and Sergeant Lewis he is able to reconstruct the case from records and come to some conclusions at odds with the accounts of the time. The murder took place on the canal trip and two men were hung for the murder. Morse believes the men were innocent.

Most of the time Morse is in the hospital doing his detecting (as did the detective in DAUGHTER OF TIME in regards to Richard III), but at the end some field work makes him even surer of his conclusions. This is one of my favorite Morse tales although all of them are great.




Sergio Angelini
Brian Busby
Bill Crider
Scott Cupp
Martin Edwards
Curt Evans
Jerry House
Randy Johnson
Nick Jones
George Kelley
Margot Kinberg
Rob Kitchin
B.V. Lawson
Evan Lewis
Steve Lewis/Marvin Lachman
Todd Mason
Neer
J.F. Norris
Richard Pangburn
James Reasoner
Richard Robinson
Gerard Saylor
Ron Scheer
Bill and Michael Selnes
Kerrie Smith
Kevin Tipple
TomCat


9 comments:

Nick Jones (Louis XIV, the Sun King) said...

Thanks for the link, Patti! Have included a link back in the relevant post. Hope you get a chance to read the Gavin Lyall letter.

Yvette said...

Apologies, Patti. No book from me today unless it's much later this afternoon.I'm off to spend a few hours with my granddaughter. :)

Anonymous said...

I liked THE DAUGHTER OF TIME a lot when I read it and thought Dexter did a wonderful job with THE WENCH IS DEAD, probably my favorite Morse as well.

Jeff M.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Dexter is a very clever writer in terms of devising his plots, even though they are usually highly implausible. This is a case in point here given the reliance on physical evidence so long after the events though the ingenuity certainly carries you through.

J F Norris said...

Thanks, Patti, for the link to the Neely review, but my real FFB post is now up. Here's the link:

http://prettysinister.blogspot.com/2012/08/ffb-secret-of-sarek-maurice-leblanc.html

The Secret of Sarek by Maurice LeBlanc

Anonymous said...

That Colin Dexter is one of my favorites, too, though I think The Silent World of Nicolas Quinn may be the best.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I really like all of them.

Richard L. Pangburn said...

Well, I have one up today, despite the fact that the blogger is not working from my home computer.

I'll put the pictures up later today if I can.

The link is:

http://trackofthecat.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-laughing-policeman-fridays.html

Thanks! to all.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great title. I've not read anything by him. Can't keep up with all the good stuff out there.