One vacation that worked.
At President McKinley's house near Columbus.
You know what I mean. What book left you gasping with its insights into the human condition? Or told you something you didn't know.
1) A SENSE OF AN ENDING, Julian Barnes
2) NEVER LET ME GO, Kazuo Ishiguro (Never cried more, I think)
3) A GESTURE LIFE, Chang Rae Lee
4) SONG OF SOLOMON, Toni Morrison
5) DEATH OF THE HEART, Elizabeth Bowen
6) FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, Daniel Keyes
One I would have to include although it is not a novel THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK.
None of these are crime novels, I notice. What crime novels have been able to do this--more difficult when you realize the requirements of a crime novel. Closest I can come is MYSTIC RIVER, Dennis Lehane.