Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thanks to the Family Dramas



As much as I might list my favorite TV as being shows like BREAKING BAD, DEXTER, JUSTIFIED, HOMICIDE, MAD MEN, THE WIRE, GAME OF THRONES, HOMELAND, there is also a spot in my heart for a long list of family dramas that have allowed me to have a lump in my throat instead of a gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach from time to time.

So thanks to THE WALTONS, FAMILY, THIRTY-SOMETHING, ONCE AND AGAIN, THE WONDER YEARS, NORTHERN EXPOSURE, PARENTHOOD, SIX FEET UNDER and countless others. Sometimes you just need to be touched no matter how superficially.

These are never Phil's favorite TV, but political commentary isn't mine.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie feels like you do. We're still watching PARENTHOOD though it often annoys me greatly. If it wasn't for Jackie I would never ever watch it.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Phil won't watch it. I have to do it in secret.

Randy Johnson said...

Must be a male thing. Family dramas are way down on my list.

Paul D Brazill said...

The Waltons and The Wonder Years wroked very nicely for me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

But I need a rest from all the crime shows. And sports stuff. And political stuff.

Ron Scheer said...

We got hooked on 6 FEET UNDER, but mostly for the melodrama, not the family values. I'm realizing that family-friendly drama usually has me switching channels. I know, sad.

Rick Robinson said...

I really liked WALTONS a lot, and the other show in which Michael J. Fox got his start, whatever it's name...

Todd Mason said...

Rick, that was FAMILY TIES, the Fox sitcom.

Frankly, the political dimensions of such series as ONCE AND AGAIN were more sophisticated than the posturing tunnel vision of nearly all cable "political" "chat" shows--and the Sunday morning network jokes are even worse. Even the occasional ones I might generally agree with.

But PARENTHOOD is pretty annoying, despite having such a fine cast.

Todd Mason said...

SHAMELESS, even with the scabrousness, and THE GOOD WIFE in the family dynamics, are by me good current family drama.

Yvette said...

I loved NORTHERN EXPOSURE. That show should still be running. :)

I also loved JUDGING AMY which I considered a family drama. Until the last year or so that is when they ruined the show.

And I did, occasionally watch THE WALTONS.

My daughter absolutely adored LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE, though I wasn't as enamored.

Can I include EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND which makes me howl with laughter (embarrassingly so) even to this day?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Raymond counts with me. That told many truths about marriage and family. But in a funny way.