Monday, September 14, 2026

Monday, Monday


 After finishing JOHN OF JOHN, I decided to read Stuart's first book SHUGGIE BAIN. It's another long one, but so easy to get into.That's a real gift.

Saw the movie THE WORK IN PROGRESS, which puts millennials and baby boomers together and tries to get them to exchange ideas. I think the real trouble is more about class than age though. Also rewatched ALL THE JAZZ. What a delight.  I also enjoyed MY Brilliant Career. 

Watching NO EXIT on Apple. LANTERNS on HBO. LAST MEAL on Tubi. TED LASSO on Apples. 

I went to a lecture on American women from the Revolution on. Our senior center has a lecture every Thursday night by college professor and other ones in the daytime. And many other activities including bus trips, exercise, art classes, music, book groups. discussion groups, card groups, etc. All this for $60 a year.  I also went to hear folk music one night. 

I am going to PT for my balance issues. I think it is at least partly related to the drug I am taking for AFIB. 

What about you?  

14 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I'm glad your senior center offers so many activities, Patti. They sound really interesting. It sounds as though you've been doing some good reading, too, and that's great.

Jerry House said...

My evil twin brother Yrrej tells me that balance problems are because one doesn't eat a BALANCED meal. With that in mind, I'd like to note that today is both National Cream Filled donut Day and National Rose Tequila Day. You can thank me later, Patti.

Walt Senior and Ellen moved in with last Sunday, the hottest day of the year to be moving heavy furniture. They are still making occasional trips to get miscellaneous boxes of doodads and geegaws but the hard work has been done. A major concern for Ellen, besides the Alzheimer's, is that she has been falling a lot lately. On the plus side, she waited four day before taking a fall; on the negative side...falling. She did start one other fall but Walt caught her before she hit the ground. But Ellen is happy to be here -- she loves the animals and there is large-screen TV for football games. Senior is adjusting well. He makes a large pit of coffee every morning, which makes me happy; in return, I have introduced him to the joys of Cumberland Farms' chicken tenders.

Christina is working more hours this month. In addition to her regular hours, she is filling in for a woman on pregnancy leave. Because she works from 4 PM to 2 AM, and needs her sleep (besides taking Jack various places and Ellen to her many doctor appointments), we're not going to see a lot of her for a while. Walt has still not got a new job lined up, which is making us a bit nervous because when his current job ends, so does the health insurance that very same day. A week ago last Friday, one of his contacts asked if he would be willing to move to California for a guaranteed job, but that was the weekend Senior and Ellen were moving in. I'm not THAT worried yet, because Walt has always been in demand and does have four or five possibles hanging out there.

Sebastian the Russian Tortoise celebrated twelve years with us, at least as much as a rather unintelligent animal can. One of Amy's cats, the oldest -- Gingerbread, appears to very not long for this world and will probably die this week. The hardest part about well-loved pets is letting go, but that's the sad price one pays for loving and caring for animals.

Mark may be applying for a job at the Albuquerque zoo. There's an opening in the reptile depart and the people there want Mark to come back. He had previously worked there in the bird department but had done a lot of volunteer work with the reptile department, so the know Mark and know his work ethic. He had applied before to the reptile depart but had been rejected (the woman in charge of hiring later said that if she had known more about Mark she would have hired him), and Mark left Albuquerque to work at a smaller zoo to work with reptiles. So this may come full circle. But not yet. The zoo is owned by the city and there are a lot of political hurdles he would have to go through if he applied; the process would probably take six months or more. In the meantime, the Gulfarium, where he now works, has released a video of Sylpha, a resident Burmese python, exploring the Dolphin Oasis and getting the attention of the bottleneck dolphins as part of a sensory enrichment experience for the dolphins, who were curious and interacting with the snake through the glass that separated them. A cute video available on the internet if you'd like to check it out.

I spent much of the week with my latest obsession: jigsaw puzzles, and am currently working on a large detailed one depicting a large bear head against a wooded background. It's a .line drawing in blacks and grays with a dash of brown and it has me swearing a lot.

No television this week -- I really have to get back to that and catch up on a number of shows. Two large book sales this week gained be another fifty or so books for Mount TBR. I detailed the books on my blog post that was to glo up today but somehow Blogger found a Wayback machine and posted it on September 3, more than a week before I wrote the post. I hate technology and it evidently hates me back.

To be continued.

Jerry House said...

Back again.

I voted in the Primary, hoping to eventually kick the bastards out while not allowing new bastards in. Perhaps a moot exercise because I live in MAGA Central, but voting is one right I will never relinquish.

Books read include Paul Tremblay's DEAD BUT DREAMING OF ELECTRIC SHEEP (full of Philip K. Dickian themes); Matt Dinniman's DUNGEON CRAWLER CARL (cute, but I doubt if I'll continue the series); Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King's paeon to the 2004 Red Sox, FAITHFUL; three novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child: THE BOOK OF THE DEAD and CEMETERY DANCE (both in their Pendergast series), and THUNDERHEAD (which introduced archaeologist Nora Kelly, who went on to star in her own series); and two graphic novels: ABSOLUTE MARTIAN MANHUNTER, VOL. 1: MARTIAN VISION by Deniz Camp (very psychedelic) and THUNDERBOLTS: DOOM STRIKE (in which Dr. Doom has conquered the world).

Wishing you a fantastic week ahead, Patti. Stay safe, and keep up the PT!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I recommend Ellen get some help with the falling.Medicare will pay for it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

O'Nan is a favorite but I am not sure the baseball would interest me.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Was thinking about ALL THAT JAZZ recently. Roy Scheider got robbed at the Oscars.

We saw our sixth and last concert of the year Saturday night - John Fogerty (the 10th time in 20 years) and Steve Winwood, who did stuff from the Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith and Traffic, as well as his solo material. Very good show, right with Santana and the Doobie Brothers as the best of the summer. Fogerty is 81 now, but he still runs around the stage with boundless energy and hasn't lost his voice (see James Taylor). We stayed at the Marriott.

The Big Event this week is Jackie's second knee replacement tomorrow. Her first was 13+ years ago. Unlike the last time, she will be going home the same day, and doing PT nearby, after resting for two weeks. So we will mostly be home for the next month or two. She should be fine to leave for Florida after the New Year.

We're watching LIONESS, LANTERNS, ANNA PIGEON, PATIENCE, REACHER, among others.

And the Giants beat the hated Cowboys last night!

George said...

Diane's sister Carol visited us this weekend. Diane took Carol shopping and they had lunch with their cousins. We also took Carol and her son Jim (who drove her here) to see the Buena Vista Social Club musical. Afterwards we took them to dinner. Carol and Jim drive back to Ohio later this morning.

Poor Katie has Covid-19. I plan to get my Covid Booster shot later this week. I got my flu shot last week.

Patrick is adjusting to NYC after his trip to Istanbul and the time changes. Stay safe!

Jeff Meyerson said...

We got our Covid booster April 14, so next month. We got the flu shot a week after the other. We'll see how Jackie is walking next month.

TracyK said...

On Friday and Saturday we went to the first two days of the Planned Parenthood book sale. It was still very hot, in fact I think September 11th was the hottest day so far this year, although I have read that September 9th was the highest. Either way, the building the sale was in was hot and crowded and definitely not cool, and we probably did not stay as long as usual, either day. Still we got lots of good books, and I got too many as usual. I had resolved to only get a few short story books, but I ended up overdoing it again.

The weather is cooling down for at least the next ten days, so maybe the book sale will be more bearable on Wednesday when we go again.

Last night we tried to watch the fifth Harry Potter movie, HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX and actually got through about half of it, but it had problems and we will have to get a new BluRay disc to replace it. We have watched a few more episodes of the MARLOW MURDER CLUB and MURDER IN A SMALL TOWN and will continue that series. We are about to finish the second season of THE ARK, and will continue watching the new third season.

Glen read WINTER: THE STORY OF SEASON, by Val McDermid, which was short essays; he liked it. Now he is reading THE LOST PIANOS OF SIBERIA by Sophy Roberts. It is about the author's journey through Siberia looking for a piano whose history is definitively Siberian. It is a travelogue and there is a lot of the history of Siberia. With maps and some photos. Two of the series I have read that are set in Russsia have some books set in Siberia, so I may give this one a try.

I read EVERY DAY I READ by Hwang Bo-Reum. The author definitely loves books and views reading as an important part of her life, as I do. Sometimes her approaches to reading are different than mine, but I always enjoy reading new and different thoughts on the subject. It is more about approaches to reading than suggesting specific books, especially because most of the books she mentions are Korean and not available in translation. I did learn a lot about South Korea.

Currently I am reading MY LIFE IN MIDDLEMARCH by Rebecca Mead, and I am about half way through. Unexpectedly, I am learning a lot about the author of MIDDLEMARCH, George Eliot or Mary Ann Evans.

Jeff Meyerson said...

It was absolutely gorgeous out, about as perfect weather as you could ask for, mid-70s, sunny, and pleasant breeze with low humidity.

Just beautiful.

pattinase (abbott) said...

We have had a lot of gorgeous days too. Today began to feel like Fall.
You and Glen are great readers. Such diverse books. We had a great book club discussion on Whistler. I got my booster and flu shot today.

TracyK said...

Jeff, I am sure Jackie's knee surgery will go well, and hope the recovery will go well too.

Anonymous said...

Nuts. Wednesday already.
Spent all weekend moving and purging for partial remodel.
Listened to another scifi/fantasy novel by Sdrian Tchaikovssky. Fun stuff. This time set in a massive English mansion with a family of old, old money. And lots of it. Visitor and younger members of the family learn the secret of why the family has been rich and powerful for hundreds of years.

Todd Mason said...

Still a little fuzzy about which date is which in the last week.five, but was admitted, chopped open some, discharged then readmitted the next day. Still at this point have the drain from where my gall bladder was, but might be shedding that soon. Other doctors cross about my lack of lab work for them, though the last fortnight didn't leave much access to other mucking around in the corpus. At my lightest weight in decades, probably a plus.