Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Short Story Wednesday; "Some Things You Never Forget" Gar Anthony Haywood from Damn Near Dead 2

 

I think it is much harder to discuss a crime short story than a literary one. So much in a short mystery hangs on the ending and you can spoil it by discussing it. In a lit short story, it's not often about the ending per se but more about character. 

In Haywood's nicely written story, a man is taking his wife out for their anniversary. They are in a memory care facility. It seems they had an unusual early marriage where they pulled off small robberies and the like without getting caught. He brings a knife to make the day more exciting (they don't allow guns) and hoping this will awaken memories of the past. 

That's about all I can say without ruining the story. 

Damn Near Dead 2 was edited by Bill Crider. There are many good stories in this collection.  

George Kelley 

4 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Now that's an interesting premise for a story, Patti. I've read Haywood, but not this story. I should.

Todd Mason said...

Crime fiction does tend to be more built around plot, and climaxes or hints at them are more likely to be key to the story in CF than in mimetic fiction. Albeit, A Lot of mimetic fiction is built around a single traumatic (hello, J. C,.Oates) or transcendent incident (or both, as in Oates's "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?').

Jeff Meyerson said...

Yes, I liked the two Damn Near Dead anthologies, and I like Haywood's books (and got to tell him so at a Bouchercon).

I did finish my two short story collections, even though I didn't like Emma Cline's DADDY any more at the end than the beginning, with a couple of minor exceptions. If you dislike the characters and don't care what happens to them, what's the point in reading it?

The other was better, a collection of locked rooms and impossible crimes from around the world, ALL THE CRIME IN THE WORLD WE'RE, edited by Tom Mead and Gigi Pandian.

George said...

I read the two DAME NEAR DEAD anthologies. Bill Crider was an underrated editor!