from TELL ME A RIDDLE
A mother of six thinks about all of the mistake she made with her first child. And also the poverty that necessitated her placement in various places so the mother could work. And the bad advice that was given in child rearing at the time (1930s), how she let her cry so she wouldn't be spoiled. How she didn't know how to stop the jealousy between her and her younger, prettier sister.
Tillie Olson was highly thought of forty years ago. I wonder if anyone remembers her now.


8 comments:
I haven't read any of her work, Patti, but it sounds as though this story explores some real-life issues. I think all parents do at least a little second-guessing.
I do. I was advised to feed from a bottle rather than a breast since they could fortify it.
I remember Tillie Olson's stories from 40. years ago. But, now, as you say, she's a forgotten writer.
I did read the Olsen collection relatively recently. That story was memorable.
Currently reading GOLDEN AGE SUSPENSE STORIES, edited by Otto Penzler. I'd read the Stanley Ellin story before but had no memory of it at all. Q. Patrick, Hugh Pentecost, Lawrence G. Blochman among the other writers.
Re Margot's comment, I know I look back wonder how much harm I did when raising my child. I guess it is inevitable, both to worry and to make some mistakes.
I looked into Tillie Olsen a bit when I got the anthology 100 Years of the Best American Short Stories edited by Lorrie Moore. But I don't think I read that story yet, which is in the book.
I have added Olsen to my book sale list. I hope not to buy too many short story books there, since I already have a good number here to read, but I know I will find some. The sale starts on September 10th and I am still adding books to my list.
I've read "Tell Me a Riddle" sometime I the early '80s, after picking up one or another of the Best Short Stories of the Sixties or the like volumes, and I've read at least one other of her stories, so we fossilizing sorts are likely to remember her and her work, at least. The generation before mine, I think, was the one that tended to dismiss short fiction in favor of novels the most, the more the fools they that did...as short story markets slowly dried up, either through folding or dropping that aspect.
Yup. I'm mildly surprised there wasn't a 1950s "chlorophyll" formula that was touted as an improvement to women's milk...or do I display my lack of comprehensive knowledge of scams of past decades?
So many great short story writers are forgotten. I wonder if many could name even one.
Post a Comment