https://americanliterature.com/author/w-f-harvey/short-story/august-heat
A man, looking for something to sketch, finds a man in a courtroom on trial for murder who is grossly overweight and sketches him. Later he runs across the same man making a headstone. The headstone has the artist's name on it and today's date. The two men go inside to try and avoid both of their fates. A very short and subtle story about fate


13 comments:
Oh, that sounds really interesting, Patti! And the overall theme of avoiding a fate is fascinating, too.
One of the most effective and compelling horror stories ever written, it has been reprinted or anthologized at least 50 times.
And it was new to me. Really great one. Such economy in the writing.
Jerry's right! "August Heat" has been in many, many anthologies. Great story!
Thanks for mentioning this.
I finished the Penzler anthology, and the last story - another reread - was the wonderfully atmospheric "Dime a Dance" by Cornell Woolrich. It's told from the perspective of one of the dancers, a has a real Depression vibe.
I will see if I can find it online.
Another of my early favorite horror stories from childhood, and you have described why. I haven't ever sought out much more of Harvey's work, and should. But the heat is suffocating.
I normally don't like horror stories, but this one does sound very good.
Speaking of heat, I think we are having the hottest day yet this year, and we are very uncomfortable in our condo with no air conditioning. Maybe it will be better tomorrow.
Better luck with the weather, indeed. Is Portland usually good w/o AC in the summer?
Under the later title, "The Dancing Detective": https://archive.org/details/fourteengreatdet00hayc/page/n7/mode/2up
--that took an early-morning minute.
Better/direct: https://archive.org/details/fourteengreatdet00hayc/page/434/mode/2up
I think Tracy lives in Santa Barbara. It is not really a horror story in the traditional sense.
I'll have to disagree with you there, Patti--it is one of the prime examples of the supernatural anticipation of fate horror story.
Post a Comment