Wednesday, September 07, 2022

First Wednesday Book Review: TASTE: MY LIFE IN FOOD, Stanley Tucci

 


In the days before I cut the cord, I enjoyed Stanley Tucci's trek through Italy on CNN. I have also enjoyed him in movies like BIG NIGHT and JULIA AND JULIE. Listening to him read this on audio was a treat. He begins with his childhood and the sort of dishes he grew up eating in his Italian-American family who lived in Katonah, NY.  He included the lunches he took to school, what he ate after school, what the other kids were eating. All the sort of information a reader finds interesting but by not think to ask.

His mother was a terrific cook despite working full-time and food was an important part of their life. This book is full of recipes, advice on buying and cooking food, and the kind of thing it is interesting to hear about--like what they feed actors on sites filming movies and TV shows. He shares great meals he has had all over the world and the people he has had them with. This is a terrific book if food interests you at all. 

For more book reviews, please visit Barrie Summy's blog right here.

7 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree. I really enjoyed it a lot. Even though I read the Kindle book, I could see him reading it in my mind.

Barrie said...

I find I'm listening to more and more books. And it really is a treat when the author is the narrator. Sounds like a fun listen. Full of trivia. Thank you for reviewing!

Todd Mason said...

Usually can't hurt if a writer-narrator has acting chops...

Jeff Meyerson said...

By that token, I highly recommend Frank McCourt reading ANGELA'S ASHES.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I doubt I could ever get through AA again. Devastating.

Lucy said...

I love Stanley Tucci and was looking forward to this review - and it did not disappoint. I love that it has recipes too as I like trying new things (and have figured out how I can make anything vegan, if it's not already =) ).

I would imagine it was easy listening to him read it as well. I once listened to a book read by Steve Martin and decided I could listen to him read a box of cereal - some people just have a knack. =)

Thanks for reviewing.

Sarah Laurence said...

I love Stanley Tucci's acting and am always looking for book recommendations for my husband who loves to cook and my mother who reads 2 books a week, so thanks!