Monday, January 30, 2017

THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY

1. That the Mary Tyler Moore Show is available on Sundance Channel every Thursday.

2. A terrific production we saw of IN THE HEIGHTS, the first musical by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It truly is unbelievable how much local talent there is in Detroit. The huge cast, orchestra, sets, direction was terrific and it cost $25. They must have worked for almost nothing.

3. That the neighborhood I now live in is such a welcoming place. I don't think I ever realized how alienated I was in the 40 years I spent in Grosse Pointe. A Democrat in a Republican stronghold just never feels comfortable.

4. Flannel sheets. I think the first half of my life was spent without them. In Michigan, they are necessary.

5. Seeing the protestors show up at international airports within hours of Trump's latest indignities. And seeing the lawyers, working pro bono, there too. We are not the people Trump makes us look to be. The last time I protested I was a teenager and most of the people protesting with me were in their twenties. We were protesting about something that mainly affected us. This time the protesters are 3 to 93 and they are protesting the dissolution of our democracy. They are protesting for other people's rights as well as their own. I am proud to be an American when I see those scenes from airports and from city streets.In capitol buildings, in the Mall. Fight on!
 

What about you? What made you happy this week? I know it is hard to find things right now.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the perspective you have here, Patti! I think it's important to focus, at least sometimes, on those positive things.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree. It's great for you to do this every week.

This week?

1. I read FOUR books, so we're finally settled in down here.

2. HIDDEN FIGURES. A terrific movie.

3. A week (until yesterday) of beautiful, sunny 70s weather.

4. The refusal of people in New York and around the country to "normalize" Trump and his unconscionable and Unconstitutional actions.

pattinase (abbott) said...

HIDDEN FIGURES was so uplifting. And such an unknown story. How could we not know about this until now.

George said...

The fact that people are finally waking up to the implications of what four years of TRUMP will be. As Obama warned, "Elections matter."

Unknown said...

1. A bowl of really good ice cream.

2. Purring cats on my lap when I wasn't feeling so well.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Can't eat ice cream. Allergic to cats. What a shame.

Jerry House said...

It is a shame, Patti. Ice cream and cats are some of the reasons God put us on this planet. I'm glad there were other things to make you happy this week.

Things that made me happy this week:

- Family (wife, kids, grandkids)
- More family, especially my niece Julia who was protesting at Logan Airport in Boston. (Her sign: "This land is your land, this land is my land" -- which her Dad said would have made Woody proud)
- Jalapeno honey mustard (just because)
- Finally installing a new back door...and getting it right!
- And (again) my family (because they are always my favs)

Rick Robinson said...

I'm happy about:

Finishing a book I'd been intending to read for decades, even if it turned out not too be as good as I'd hoped.

Going through my books and finding so many terrific short story collections and anthologies to read next month.

My cat Mirabelle, who keeps me company while I read.

My beautiful home with its wonderful view.

A good strong cup of coffee in the morning.

Unknown said...

Happiness this week
1. That the world was blessed with the talents of Mary Tyler Moore and Barbara Hale and we can watch them in reruns...always esp.loved the twinkle in Hale's eyes while playing Della Street
2. The whimsical perfume name Tart's Knicker Drawer. It was created by Sarah McCartney, scent master at 4160 Tuesday's. The name of the scent comes from Sarah's mother who used that term to describe a woman who used too much perfume. The scent is reportedly redolent of "powdery violets, silky resins, iris and cedar".
3. My favorite tune was Patti Drew's "Tell Him" and a poem I liked was Craig Arnold's Meditations on a Grapefruit".
I hope everyone has a good week.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Such great choices!

Gerard Saylor said...

1. My next-to-last Cub Scout Pack meeting went well and my younger son, whose first reaction to most suggestions is resistance, enjoyed himself at his older brother's Boy Scout meeting.
2. My Rotary Club's fundraising praised by attendees.
3. My grant idea for an early literacy skills workshop should have a good chance of being accepted.
4. Tonight is high school orientation night for 8th graders and their parents.

Shay said...

"Flannel sheets. I think the first half of my life was spent without them. In Michigan, they are necessary."

And bedsocks.