Tuesday, September 16, 2014

1964: Movies: THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY

It's easy to see why the sixties is not regarded as a great era for U.S. films if you look at this list.
Some of the more notable US films that year were DR. STRANGELOVE, BECKETT, THE KILLERS, A SHOT IN THE DARK, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, THE PINK PANTHER, A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, MARNIE, MY FAIR LADY, THE PAWN BROKER and SEND ME NO FLOWERS.

One of my favorites, and I saw it again a few weeks ago and perhaps mentioned it, was THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY with James Garner, Julie Andrews , James Coburn and and an amazing Melvyn Douglas, Billed as a comedy, it's actually a very dark film. Garner is having an easy time of it caring for the needs of top brass in Europe just before the landing at Normandy. A pretty cushy assignment until a few things change the game. Highly recommended.

What is your favorite movie from 1964? Click the link above if you don't remember the year's films.

11 comments:

George said...

You're right about all those great movies! I'll have to go with BECKETT.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, I remember My Fair Lady so very clearly. And Send Me No Flowers. I guess I'd go with My Fair Lady although I loved Peter Sellers as Clouseau.

Anonymous said...

I meant to mention this one after Garner died. For everyone who thinks Julie Andrews as just Mary Poppins or Maria von Trapp, they need to see it.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

From that list I'd go with DR. STRANGELOVE, followed by THE PAWNBROKER. I like watching those black & white films shot on the streets of New York.

By the way, I've seen every one on that list.


Jeff M.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Greta choice Patti - apparently it was Garner's own favourite among his films.

Cap'n Bob said...

There are a lot of good ones but I have a special fondness for The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao.

Deb said...

Dr. Strangelove, followed closely by Marnie.

Ron Scheer said...

Watched half of ZORBA THE GREEK recently and had to give up on it. Never remembered it as so unutterably sad.

le0pard13 said...

Love THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY, but if I'm to pick my favorite for '64, it's A HARD DAY'S NIGHT.

Rick Robinson said...

I agree with George on BECKETT followed by MY FAIR LADY.

Unknown said...

Hitchcock's Marnie, followed by Fate is the Hunter, The Americanization of Emily, and The 7th Dawn, all of which I remember seeing in theatres at the time, and have on dvd now. 1964 was an awful good year.