Wednesday, June 01, 2022

First Wednesday Book Review: MONTANA 1948, Larry Watson



Although I am pretty sure I reviewed this before, I could not find it on here. So since I read it again, I will review it. It is one of my favorite books, maybe my most favorite. It has no weaknesses that I can see and all of the things I like most in a novel:
 

A single narrator, a first person point of view, a small number of characters, an injustice that's addressed, a rural setting, it takes place before technology changed our lives, good characterizations, short length, great writing.

David is an only child living with his father, a sheriff, his mother, and a native American woman, Marie Little Soldier, who helps out since both his parents have day jobs. Also in the picture are grandparents and an uncle and his wife, and a deputy. The uncle is a doctor who has cared for most of the townspeople since he returned from the second world war, a hero. David's Dad had a bad leg that kept him at home. 

When Marie falls sick and they call for the doctor, David's uncle, she refuses to see him. It is soon revealed he has been abusing her as well as other Sioux women for years. His exact actions are not spelled out. 

After this the book is mostly about how the sheriff handles his brother's crime. Will he hide it? Will he prosecute? Much of the pressure to overlook it comes from the grandfather, who almost views abuse of these women as his right. The family and the white townspeople do not see the native Americans as quite equal to them and deserving of the same protection. Even David's father admits he does not like "Indians"

There are a lot of things that enrich this narrative. The problem of the son who stayed home from the war, disappointing his father. How to handle a crime in your own family if you are a law enforcement officer, what your child will take from all this. How to do the right thing and what that right thing is. Is what is right absolute or does it change over time and place.

This is a terrific book as I have said.

For more book reviews, see Barrie Summy

10 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Here's your previous (capsule) review, though you've cited it repeatedly as a favorite:
https://pattinase.blogspot.com/2012/05/fridays-forgotten-books-may-25-2012.html

It's a good day for harkening to our 2012 reviewed books!

Todd Mason said...

What's good behavior always has shades and increments, but being as kind and helpful as doesn't actually do damage to one's self and others seems a fairly persistent extrapolation of the Golden Rule...which also makes one a mark, to some extent, if not careful...and taking care is always a component.

That does sound like a model novel, indeed. Those who Don't Like or certainly don't respect other groups of people, but X is a great gal and you can always count on Y, is certainly a common enough sort of "friendly" chauvinist throughout the last century or so, and probably in any cosmopolitan setting throughout human history...and is certainly being exploited like crazy by our fascists and their various stripes of buddies these days (as always).

Sarah Laurence said...

I can see why this book is your favorite and I enjoy historical fiction so thanks for the recommendation!

TracyK said...

I know you have talked about Larry Watson and books by him that you liked, and in the last year I have purchased this book and American Boy, which I found at the book sale. I haven't read either yet, but I will get there.

Barrie said...

This is one of your favorite books?! That's good enough for me. Ordered. Thanks for reviewing!

Jenn Jilks said...

I seldom reread books. Hubby does, all the time!
Interesting!

troutbirder said...

Well Montana is me second favorite St after Minnesota and stories relating the centuries long Abuse of native America is a personal and historical interest of mine so.... Perfect !

Margot Kinberg said...

I know I'm late to the party, Patti, but this is such a good story!!! I'm glad you reminded me of it. I need to re-read it, I think...

Steve A Oerkfitz said...

Read thi last year and loved it. Loaned out my copy twice now and both other people also loved it. I need to read something else by him.

Powell River Books said...

Sounds interesting. I've added it to my reading list. - Margy