Friday, June 24, 2022

FFB. WHEN THE KILLING STARTS, Ted Wood

 (reviewed by Bill Crider in 2012)



Reid Bennett is the entire police force in tiny Murphy's Harbour, Ontario, Canada.  Of course he gets a lot of help from his German Shepherd, Sam.  While he's on vacation, he's approached by a woman who asks him to find her son, who's joined an outfit that supposedly trains mercenaries.  Bennett is a little reluctant, but he agrees.  Before long, he's on a wilderness adventure that involves lots of shooting and a serious wildfire.  He recovers the son, but that's just the beginning, as Wood starts springing the plot twists.  

If you're looking for villainous villains, lots of action, a little sex, and a very cool dog, you've come to the right place.  There are a few plot problems, not the least of which is the faithful Indian companion deus ex machina, but Wood's writing is strong and his pacing is exemplary.  Bennett is a hero like Jack Reacher, tough, strong, and sure of himself.  I'd think Reacher's audience would like him a lot.

Ted Wood is a Canadian author who had a good bit of success in the U.S. with this series.  I believe there were ten books in all.  He wrote a couple of others as Jack Barnao, and I liked those, too.  He might not be completely forgotten, since I believe the books are available for Kindle. 

4 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

This is an author I've not read before, Patti, but I like the setting, and the story sounds interesting. I may have to look him up.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I'm with Bill here. I really liked the Ted Wood books. The final one was hard to find and cost a fortune when I first looked for it (the library didn't have it), but a few years later I looked online and there it was, for just a few dollars.

Definitely recommended.

George said...

Bill Crider loved Ted Woods's books. I have a number of them...but--same old story--haven't read them yet.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I just looked at quite a collection of Ted Wood novels at my library so when I saw Bill had reviewed one, I borrowed it.