Friday, October 08, 2021

FFB: EAST OF EDEN, John Steinbeck

I was a freshman in college when I read this book. I realized as I reached its end that the feverish pitch of the novel was probably at least partially based on the fact that I was feverish myself—sick in the way that kids that age and away from home get sick. I lay on my narrow bed, skipping classes, skipping meals, and reading EAST OF EDEN. When I was finished, I read four or five more Steinbecks in succession, enjoying them all but not perhaps as much as this one.


It was exactly the kind of book that appealed to me then: a family saga that was long, complicated, sad, over the top perhaps. When I reread it a few years ago, I still enjoyed it but felt a red pencil might have strengthened it.


EAST OF EDEN was published in 1952 and its title refers to the place where the biblical Cain goes after murdering his brother, Abel. The novel begins in Connecticut where Adam Trask and his older brother, Charles, live on a farm owned by their father, Cyrus, whom we later learn he has stolen money. Much of the first half of the novel concerns their relationship with the kindly and noble Hamilton family. After Cyrus’ death, Adam enters the army while his brother Charles stays on the farm and grows rich.


After his release Adam marries Cathy Trask and the couple move to Salinas, California, where she becomes pregnant. She gives birth to Cal and Aron but deserts the boys, shooting Adam while running away to live in a whorehouse. Cathy has few redeeming qualities and seems determined to debase herself and destroy everyone around her.

Adam and his servant, Lee, raise the two boys. One night Cal takes Aron to the house of prostitution owned by Cathy, showing him his mother for what she is. Like their father and uncle before them, the brothers resemble the biblical Cain and Abel. Aron is killed in combat (World War 1) and Cal falls in love with his brother’s longtime girl friend, Abra Bacon. Adam who has suffered a stroke following the shocking death of Aron forgives Cal for his sins.

This is certainly one of Steinbeck’s best novels and a classic for me. Despite its rigid notion of good and evil—people are mostly one or the other—its rich story line, the beauty of the writing and its compelling nature, still make it a favorite. 

What is your favorite Steinbeck novel? 

 

11 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I've always loved Steinbeck's writing, Patti. He told such powerful stories, I think. The one I like best is The Grapes of Wrath, but they all in their way have things to say.

Jeff Meyerson said...

One typo correction: it was published in 1952, not 1962, obviously. I have never read it, though I've seen the 1955 movie version (based on the last part of the novel) with James Dean, Raymond Massey and Julie Harris.

I loved THE GRAPES OF WRATH when I read it in high school. I haven't read all that much of Steinbeck. Is he read these days, other than OF MICE AND MEN? Is WRATH still being taught? I know Oprah's Book Club did EAST OF EDEN.

George said...

I enjoyed Steinbeck's work, but I know what you mean when you're talking about the red pencil! I'm partial to Cannery Row which came out in 1945. Short and powerful.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Cannery Row was great too. And of course, Grapes of Wrath. He seems to have faded away now both in classrooms and outside. So many mid-twentieth century writers have. I think some of the genre writers might endure longer.

Neeru said...

I read this in college and didn't like it as much as I wanted to. Haven't read much of Steinbeck but found IN DUBIOUS BATTLE unputdownable.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am not sure I have ever read that one. Will have to read a plot summary.

Rick Robinson said...

I’ve read just about all of his novels, and think Cannery Row would be my favorite, though Of Mice and Men is a close second. I also like, and have read and reread, Travels With Charlie, a travel book / autobiography he wrote. If it’s true that Steinbeck is no longer being read, that’s a pity.

pattinase (abbott) said...

OF MICE AND MEN makes a great play too. They used to assign THE RED PONY and THE PEARL to middle school students but I am betting they no longer do.

Todd Mason said...

OF MICE AND MEN is the novel I'll choose for now; though I like his more ethically ambiguous short stories, such as, most recently, "A Snake of One's Own"...he was losing some classroom currency when I was in HS, grad in '82.

TracyK said...

I read some novels by Steinbeck back in college or around that time, but I don't think I ever read this one. I probably should read some of them now and see what I think of them.

Steve A Oerkfitz said...

Never read East of Eden I liked both The Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row.
A lot of mid century white male writers are not being taught as much as in favor of a more diverse syllabus. Faulkner seems to be taught much more than Steinbeck, Hemingway and Fitzgerald.