Friday, January 15, 2021

FFB: THE POISONWOOD BIBLE, Barbara Kingsolver


 I have been in a book group for close to twenty years and this is probably one of our five favorite reads over that period. (Other contenders would be NICKEL AND DIMED, LEOPOLD'S GHOST, and LAB GIRL) 

It is 1959 and Nathan Price, a Baptist minister, takes his wife and four daughters to the Belgian Congo where he believes he can convert the heathens. He is from the fire and brimstone school of preachers and this does not serve him well with the local population. The family is ill-prepared for the climate. They also are ill-prepared for the unrest they will find as the Congo tries to pull away from Belgian's harsh colonial rule. The novel does a great job of showing the reader how this period played out. King Leopold of Belgian would give a certain president a run for the title of worst person who is not Adolf Hitler.

The first half of the novel documents the many vicissitudes found by the Prices and practiced on the local population by Nathan. It is written from all of their POVS, which gives a pretty full picture of how this affected each one of them. Nathan gives little thought to how this experience will affect his family, reminding me of the father in MOSQUITO COAST and the parents in AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY.   

The second half of the novel details the lives of these seven people over the next thirty years. I have to say that half of the book is not as memorable or at least I don't remember it. It is hard to compete with the fiery Price. But a very good book all in all.

10 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

An excellent choice, Patti! It doesn't always get a lot of press, but still has had an influence, I think.

George said...

Diane's Book Club read THE POISONWOOD BIBLE a few years ago and loved it. Diane's read several of Barbara Kingsolver's novels, but this was her favorite.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes, she is a great writer. Another book we liked a lot was Ann Patchett's BEL CANTO.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Again, I know several people who loved this, but not my cup of tea.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Haven't read it but it brings me to mind of Pater Matthiessen's At Play In the Fields of the Lord.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes, that's another one.
Phil would never read it either, Jeff. I don't mind religious content, which is why I am liking the Israeli show you mentioned on Moncay. Can't remember the title Something with an M.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Mekimi

We're enjoying it too.

TracyK said...

I would like to read this book. Everything about it sounds good. So I am glad to see your thoughts on it

I liked NICKEL AND DIMED also.

MP said...

I've read three of Kingsolver's novels, including this one, and liked them all. My favorite is her first, "The Bean Trees".

pattinase (abbott) said...

I know I read that one but have little memory of it. Her essays are also good.
Nickle and Dimes was a real eye-opener.