Friday, April 24, 2020

FFB DEAD SLEEP, Greg Iles


Jordan Glass is a photojournalist who has traveled the world, especially Asia, to take prize-winning photos-mostly of war-torn areas. When she sees a painting of what looks like a woman sleeping, she knows it isn't her despite it being a mirror image. But could it be her twin sister, who died a year earlier. This quest takes her to New Orleans where a series of women have gone missing over an undetermined period of time. All of them turn up  in paintings and it is not certain of they are dead or sleeping.
This is one of those thrillers that have an awful lot of plot points and revealing any of them might spoil the book. It is probably 75 pages too long although not from a lack of story. If anything it has too much plot. It is a page-turner though. I found the central premise a little too woo-woo but not a bad book.

6 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I have not read ILes in far too long, Patti. Thanks for the reminder.

George said...

I have a stack of Greg Iles books, all of them Big Fat Books. If this pandemic goes on for a few more months, I'll probably give one a try.

Jeff Meyerson said...

My mother was a big fan of his books, but they always seemed too big to star when I had other things of higher priority. I've seen him in the Rock Bottom Remainders playing with Dave Barry, Steohen King, and Ridley Pearson.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think his three most recent books, Natchez Burning, trilogy is supposed to be his most important work.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I think you're right, but at 800+ pages, I'll leave it to George to read and review first.

Steven A Oerkfitz said...

I liked his early books but stopped reading him when they became doorstops. I don't mind long books but mysteries/thrillers tend to drag at that length.