Wednesday, October 05, 2016

First Wednesday Book Club: A MAN CALLED OVE, Fredrik Backman






A MAN CALLED OVE is the story of a Swedish man of 60 who reminds me an awfully lot of Doc Martin. He shares many of his OCD traits, is a curmudgeon, and yet in the end, it is he who most often saves the day. Most of this book details his life after his beloved wife has died, his attempts to do away with himself, and the people he rescues and who rescue him. It just misses being too cute. But because of Ove's often misanthropic views, words, and insights, and also some real tragedies in  his life. it kept me reading to the end. A movie is coming out momentarily. If you are looking for a light read, this will fill the bill.Pretty much an international best seller, it is hard not to like Ove, his wife, his neighbors, his Sweden.

For more book reviews, visit Barrie Summy. 

10 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, this sounds lovely. I will have to read this.

troutbirder said...

Light but with fascinating characters and happenstances works for me between heavy ones too...:)

Anonymous said...

This does sound like a good read, Patti, and I do love the setting!

Steve Oerkfitz said...

I believe this opens tomorrow at the Main in Royal Oak.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Going Saturday night and then again with my book group. Hope it's good.

Yvette said...

This sounds just right, Patti. I think I'll reserve it at the library.

Barrie said...

Interesting! I've picked up this book a couple of times, but talked myself out of it. Mostly because of the height of my TBR pile. But based on your review, I should probably just bite the bullet and add another book! Thanks for reviewing!

neer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
neer said...

Hi Patti

Here's my entry for FFB:

Epitaph for a spy by Eric Ambler

http://inkquilletc.blogspot.in/2016/10/forgotten-book-epitaph-for-spy-by-eric.html

Thanks

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so behind on my reading!!!! Books & blogs!!!
Winter is coming, however...
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!