Monday, February 22, 2016

My California Dream






This is our fifth year of spending time in California. We have the routine down pretty well although the rental we had this year was far from perfect. (our original choice came down with a rat infestation.) 
Okay, it was half a block from the most gorgeous beach in La Jolla. That part was good. And I could certainly hear the ocean pounding every night. And I love watching the surfers-never get tired of that. 

But...we were too far from the center of town. Over a mile to get there and that was the far end of town. So we had to drive in (I got Phil to take the bus once). And that means finding parking. And at night, it's a dark drive and our older eyes aren't perfect enough to feel comfortable. So we didn't get out that much after dark (5:30). Plus we seem to have lost a lot of the mail we  had forwarded here. I am sure some bill collectors will be waiting on our porch in Michigan.
Also there was not one comfortable chair in the place. I even bought a desk chair so I could do my edits. And the WiFI never worked all that well. And driving in California will only get to be more of a challenge. The driving is fast, twisty and they always use two lanes where one will do. Movies cost a lot more than in Michigan. Food too.

But that's small potatoes because we are so lucky to be able to escape from Michigan's gray, cold, snowy months. 
I WILL NOW STOP BITCHING. 
 
In the seven weeks we were here we had one rainy and one or two cloudy days. Every other day was perfect. Between 65-80 and pure sun. 
We went to two very good plays, two very fine musical performances, many movies and many restaurants. We visited all the usual places: Coronado, Balboa Park, Del Mar, many museums and beaches in the area. 

We worked every morning and played after lunch.  

As you read this I am in LA. I came up for a NOIR AT THE BAR on Sunday night. Naomi Hirahara is meeting us for dinner. We are so lucky to be here. 

But I am ready to go home. (Although we have booked a place for next year that is right downtown). 

This is Aaron Goldberg who we were lucky enough to hear play last week. 


 

16 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

Your weather was better than I'd expected, I thought there would be a lot more rain, but it did get hot last week, didn't it? Barbara's daughter lives in SD so we do get weather reports. I love all that stuff, but we really got tired of the heat and traffic in SoCal, and I love living in the foggy firs and our sweeping view and garden, larger than we could have had down south.

I'm glad you got a good place for next year, after construction 2 years ago and out of town with no good chairs this year, you deserve perfect next time!

Elgin Bleecker said...

Getting away from winter sounds great.
BTW – Heard your daughter today on Morning Edition.
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/22/467392750/the-girl-in-the-title-more-than-a-marketing-trend

Jeff Meyerson said...

Overall, it sounds pretty good to me, especially since the weather was so perfect. I'm used to driving in Florida which, for all the occasional complaints, is still a lot better than New York. The streets are mostly wide and well paved, visibility is good. Negatives? Not such good drivers (and I am not singling out seniors hete) who talk and text while driving - this is Florida so everything is legal - and almost never signal. Also, every exit off I-95 has beggars (mostly young and healthy looking) on every corner, as do many other busy intersections.

The weather was good by our standards, but if you're after beach weather (we're not) it was a little cool.

For our needs it is perfect, and the West Palm Beach location works for us in a way that areas to the south never could.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Overall, it sounds pretty good to me, especially since the weather was so perfect. I'm used to driving in Florida which, for all the occasional complaints, is still a lot better than New York. The streets are mostly wide and well paved, visibility is good. Negatives? Not such good drivers (and I am not singling out seniors hete) who talk and text while driving - this is Florida so everything is legal - and almost never signal. Also, every exit off I-95 has beggars (mostly young and healthy looking) on every corner, as do many other busy intersections.

The weather was good by our standards, but if you're after beach weather (we're not) it was a little cool.

For our needs it is perfect, and the West Palm Beach location works for us in a way that areas to the south never could.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Oh, one amusing coincidence : we spent yesterday with my cousins who ate renting an apartment like you. She also had to get a chair because they had nowhere comfortable to sit.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Oh, one amusing coincidence : we spent yesterday with my cousins who ate renting an apartment like you. She also had to get a chair because they had nowhere comfortable to sit.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I can't understand why everything I post shows up twice.

We had our mail forwarded when we first came down here but what with the time lag and things getting lost, we just had the mail held. But since it is more than 30 days and we don't have a regular letter carrier we have the super pick it up for us once a week and leave it in the apartment. As for bills, we call for the totals and pay online.

Jackie wondered if you could have someone send your mail every couple of weeks.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I can't understand why everything I post shows up twice.

We had our mail forwarded when we first came down here but what with the time lag and things getting lost, we just had the mail held. But since it is more than 30 days and we don't have a regular letter carrier we have the super pick it up for us once a week and leave it in the apartment. As for bills, we call for the totals and pay online.

Jackie wondered if you could have someone send your mail every couple of weeks.

RTD said...

I am envious of your SoCal adventures; we lived for a couple of years (90-93) in Bonita (east of San Diego), and we learned to take the good (climate, culture, and restaurants) with the bad (traffic, traffic, and traffic) during our time there, but I suspect the bad might be tipping the scales these days. Enjoy yourself as much as you can. Have you made it to Julian, Big Bear, Idylwild, and other mountain getaways? What about the central valley? And, of course, Santa Barbara is (or at least was) a fun excursion. Morro Bay is also great.

Deb said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: California is a fabulous place to live providing you have sufficient income and work less than 20 miles from home. I loved the 20 years I lived there--but with three kids, a small house, massive mortgage, and both of us at various times having to drive long distances in crazy traffic for work, we finally decided to cash out and move. I miss a lot about California (especially being a relatively liberal gal in the reddest area of a very red state), but putting half of our take home pay toward mortgage on a very small house (five of us--including three young kids--with one bathroom) isn't one of them.

Deb said...

To clarify: I now find myself a fairly liberal gal in a very red state.

Mathew Paust said...

My daughter and her mom moved out there six months ago. They're in North Hollywood. No complaints so far. Sarah's taking acting classes. Loves the scene. A part of me is envious.

Jeff Meyerson said...

My parents moved to North Hollywood when they left New York in 1974. Three years later, work took them to the San Mateo area halfway between San Francisco and San Jose. They loved it there until retirement took them west of Phoenix.

David Cranmer said...

I'm glad to see you had a chance to enjoy some sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Those 'photos are lovely, Patti! I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip, and it was delightful to see you, as always!

George said...

Almost all of our friends leave Western NY to escape Winter. Florida is the favorite choice. A few go to Arizona. Just a couple go to California. Sounds like you and Phil found a very nice place!