Monday, April 18, 2011

HOW I CAME TO WRITE THIS STORY: Paul Brazill


How I Came To Write This Story...

Guns Of Brixton

Well, you know what they say: ‘When a one armed man chops down a tree in the forest, a butterfly claps’. No really. The thing is, everything is connected, it really is. And Kevin Bacon is only six friends away from you, even though he isn’t on Facebook.

Anyway, it was a while back. I’d been writing flash fiction for about a year and I had this vague notion of writing something with interconnecting stories. One city. One night. You know the score.

I really liked this idea and I thought – even though everyone told me it was dead hard to do – that I’d give it a go.

So I did. Three or four stories interlocking in London on New Year’s Day. In a 1000 word flash fiction story. Yes, I know.

A pretty daft idea but, you see, Eric Beetner had just launched a Flash Fiction Challenge- when was this? Two years ago? - and I really wanted to enter my story, which was called The Big Blow after the Manu DiBango song.

Of course it didn’t win but I let it marinate and, from time to time, I added bits to it and took bits out until, after about a year, I had the scenario of two interconnecting stories. Simpler. But longer.

For some reason I’d set part of the story in Brixton which, of course, meant I was pretty much obliged to call the story Guns Of Brixton, after the classic song by The Clash. Mark Timlin’s novel Guns Of Brixton then came out via MaxCrime and I considered changing the title but in the end I didn’t.

I was pretty pleased with the yarn, too. It was, at the time, the longest story that I’d written and it felt fairly grown up. Well, for me. And so I sent it to CrimeFactory because, well, who doesn’t want to have a story in CrimeFactory? And they said yes, too, and scheduled it for issue five. And I was chuffed.

Cut to few months later, before CrimeFactory Five (http://www.crimefactoryzine.com/php_uploads/Crime%20Factory%20Issue%205.pdf )had even seen the light of day. I was working in summer school in England and sharing a computer without a load of other people. I had a short time to check my emails and saw that I’d received an email from the legendary Maxim Jakubowski ( coincidently the publisher of MaxCrime, you see how things interconnect, eh? Told you!)

He asked me if I’d like to submit a story for the next edition of The Mammoth Book Of Best British Crime, which he was editing. I was chuffed again, wasn’t I?

So, I sent him a few stories but didn’t think I’d be accepted. This was, after all, a book that featured work from the top bananas of British crime writing. Colin Dexter was in the 2010 edition! However, only a few hours later, he emailed me back to say he’d take Guns Of Brixton. Yes, I know. This chuffed goes up to eleven.

And The Mammoth Book Of Best British Crime 8 will be out soon. And I’m in there with Ian Rankin, Allan Guthrie, Sheila Quigley, Nick Quantrill, Nigel Bird and all sorts of classy types. And my names on the back cover and I get mentioned in the introduction. No, really.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-Book-British-Crime-Books/dp/1849015678/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

And guess what? I’ve let Guns Of Brixton marinate some more, too, and it has since developed into a 24,00 word novella. And I’ve even got plans for a follow up!

Well, you know what they say: ‘From little acorns a tree grows in Brooklyn.’ Or Brixton. Yes, I know.

Bio: Spinetingler Award nominee Paul D. Brazill was born in Hartlepool, England - yes, the place where they hung the monkey. He is currently on the lam in Bydgoszcz, Poland. He started writing short stories at the end of 2008. Since then, his stuff has appeared in loads of classy print and electronic magazines and anthologies, such as A Twist Of Noir, Beat To A Pulp, Crime Factory, Dark Valentine, Needle, Powder Burn Flash, Thrillers, Killers n Chillers, and Radgepacket Volumes Four and Five. He writes an irregular column for Pulp Metal Magazine and his blog, You Would Say That, Wouldn't You? is here: http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - I've been to Hartlepool, I even know how to pronounce it, but I never heard the "hung the monkey" story until I looked it up.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear what makes Paul tick.

Nigel Bird said...

lovely to see you here and to find out a little about that story. Guns Of Brixton is one of my Clash all time favourites, so you set the bar high picking that title. the story clears is by a country mile. you're place in the Best of British is well deserved, though i certainly understand that flabergasting when such news comes through.

Kieran Shea said...

I am now adding "chuff" to my day to day vocabulary. Keep rocking the keys, Paul.

C. Margery Kempe said...

Awesome, Paul. I love the pub in Brixton center -- the Prince of Wales? -- that has the lyrics from "Guns of Brixton" over the bar. It's great to see how the ideas snowball. Fun!

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thanks for hosting Paul.


Paul - I'm so intrigued by the idea of interconnected stories. I must say, although your work is quite different, it made me think of Pulp Fiction...

Paul D Brazill said...

Jeff,you got out of the Pool alive! Well done!

Thanks everyone.Yeah, the Prince Of Wales used to be good.Probably a Starbucks or All Bar One, now!

Joe Barone said...

Paul,
How wonderful! Congratulations.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I actually said "chuffed" the other night and got the strangest looks. It sounds like something bad rather than good when you think about it. Like "annoyed" perhaps.

Thomas Pluck said...

Just read "Brixton" over at Crime factory and loved it. You really packed a lot into a flash fic tale, it's no wonder they snagged it right up. Great tale.

Les Edgerton said...

Great story, Paul! And, the "story of how the story came to be" is just as riveting.

Paul D Brazill said...

well, chuffed the adjective is fine. Chuff the noun, however ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuff&page=3

Al Tucher said...

You're on a roll, PDB, and that makes us chuffed.

Erik Donald France said...

I love the Clash song "Guns of Brixton" -- in fact, London Calling is sitting next to my keyboard here. So my interest is definitely picqued~~ it's a great title.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great company. That's really a cool sale. Gotta love that kinda thing.

Laurie Powers said...

I gotta read this story now. But then anything Paul writes is so good it's criminal. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Unknown said...

Chuff... chuffed... chuffing... can't wait to try out at the next dinner party! Thanks for the new word, Paul!

Can I get "nerdy" for a moment? Thank you! The word "chuff" has an interesting "evolution. In looking up the origin of this word, I found this...

Seems "chuff" started out meaning "rude fellow" - c. 1450. Around 1832, chuff came to mean (Brit) "displeased, gruff". Moving forward... c. 1860 (Brit) the meaning changed to "pleased, happy". I wonder what chuff might mean, say 100 years from now?

Great story, Paul! Thank you, Patti, for hosting Paul.

Unknown said...

@Laurie - To "steal" a line from Meatloaf... "you took the words right out of my mouth!" Lol!!

David Barber said...

I'm chuffed, buzzin' and made up for you, Paul. Good luck with everything, mate!

Author said...

Great stuff, Paul, your success is well-deserved. Dead chuffed for you.

Alan Griffiths said...

Can I add my chuff to all the other chuffs. Really chuffed for you, Paul. You're a top bloke, a top writer and an inspiration.

Paul D Brazill said...

Thanks everyone. You're far too kind but I'll take it anyway!

Margot, if my story is half as good as Pulp Fiction, I'll be happy!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Paul is one popular fellow and writer!