Sunday, December 03, 2006

How far do you go?

With a potential editor's suggestions for a short story? I feel my stonger short stories are about voice more than anything. If I stifle the voice by playing out each scene (the show don't tell credo), it becomes more about plot than voice. A potential editor wants me to animate scenes rather than having the protagonist describe them in her somewhat (I hope) distinctive voice. How far do you go to get it into print? Does the writer know best in the end? Do some editors want every story to reflect their taste?

P.S. I am in love with my grandson. Such a different feeling than parenthood. Much less about responsbility than pure unadulaterated love.

4 comments:

Maria said...

"With a potential editor's suggestions for a short story?"

Well, speaking for myself, I won't change a single word. I am a perfect little snowflake.

Christa M. Miller said...

Your voice is already very distinctive, Patti - you've got a great track record, so you must be doing something right. :) Do you think this editor's opinion has anything to do with wanting you to write more "conventional" crime fiction despite your literary background?

I would consider the changes, even as an exercise in doing something different, but if it doesn't fit or "feels" wrong, don't go further.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think some crime fiction is about plot, some about atmosphere and some about voice/character. Plot is important to the most people probably. To me, I will never excel at plot because of my lack of forensic type information and intricate plotting. Thanks Christa and Maria. I did revise it today and sent it on but it still is largely voice not plot.

anne frasier said...

some editors will sign writers, then try to turn them into something the writer has no interest in. i've never been able to understand that way of thinking. why buy the writer in the first place?

just don't start wearing puff paint sweatshirts. when/if i become a grandmother, will my wardrobe change? that's my big fear.
:D