Thursday, September 10, 2009
On the train to Toronto, I noticed backyards.
There is great diversity in backyards.
1) Full of flowers, shrubs, gardens, paths
2) Completely barren, grass mostly gone
3) Full of garden decorations-like windmills, Dutch boys, animals etc
4) Full of playground equipment
5) Full of spare parts: tires, car parts, metal things
6) The remnants of an earlier garden, now dead
7)Full of various things for animals: doghouses, chicken coops, runs, etc.
8. A swimming pool that takes up most of the room.
9. A huge garage, deemed more important than the rest.
10. A place for all the things that have no other place: a hodgepodge
Fiction doesn't often describe backyards. What kind of backyard would you most likely put in your writing?