Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Short Story Wedneday' GOOD EVENING, MRS CRAVEN: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes

 

Mollie Panter-Downes wrote (150) letters and 21 stories for the NEW YORKER about her wartime experiences in England. All 21 appeared in the magazine, about one every three months. They remind me of the novels of Barbara Pym or Anita Brooks or Elizabeth Taylor. They are humorous, sad and short. I don't know where I got this collection from but it's terrific for anyone who wants to be reminded of wartime Britain. 

George Kelley 

Jerry House 

TracyK 

Kevin Tipple 

7 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I've not read her work before, but wartime stories can be excellent. This sounds good, Patti!

Jeff Meyerson said...

I read this some years ago ( just checked- June 2019), but I can't remember if I gave it to you. Good book.

I'm a fan of Antonya Nelson's short stories - I read her 7 collections in 2021 - and now I'm reading her husband Robert Boswell's collection THE HEYDAY OF THE INSENSITIVE BASTARDS. It's a little uneven, I thought, as I had to skip one of the longer stories, while I really liked a few of the others. I did buy a second collection (first edition for $2.77) to read soon.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Have not read her.

I do have however, as I did last week, a review of a short story from Thriller Magazine: June 2026 issue. Last week it was a police procedural. This week, it is more of a spy story. For those interested: https://kevintipplescorner.blogspot.com/2026/07/short-story-wednesday-review-forget-me.html

Jeff Meyerson said...

I have a hazy memory that when you came to New York in November of 2019 ( we saw the musical adaptation of MACBETH), I gave you the book.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think that's right, Jeff.
I will post it, Kevin.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Patti. Much appreciated, as always.

TracyK said...

This does sound like a good set of short stories, Patti. Another one for me to check out at the book sale in September first, then look for other options.