Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Short Story Wednesday: Edith Pearlman: "Inbound" from BINOCULAR VISION

 

"Inbound" is the story of a family of four taking a trip to the Boston area. Sophie is seven, her sister, Lily, two. Lily has Downs Syndrome and this is most of all a trip where Sophie figures out just what that means for her sister, her parents and her. Although it is also a story about her getting lost and what agony this puts her family through in a strange city. The writing is lovely and I look forward to reading the rest of the stories in this collection. 

Kevin Tipple

George Kelley 

TracyK 

Todd Mason 

Casual Debris

Jerry House 

7 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Perhaps I have too much of a negative memory of my New England youth, but I can feel the fraughtness of it all. I'm not sure I've read Pearlman yet.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My first time. Jeff has been championing her.

Casual Debris said...

I haven't read Pearlman either, but I'll look for this as it sounds great. My memories of youth are from Montreal, but unlike Todd I have great memories of Boston & plan to return with my own kids, though hopefully without losing either of them.

Thanks Patti for posting my article on the Lovecraft story, though I planned a different for this week in Asimov's the first of The Hugo Winners: https://casualdebris.blogspot.com/2023/03/isaac-asimov-editor-hugo-winners-1962.html.

George said...

I've read some Edith Pearlman stories and found them compelling.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I finally finished the book, reading one or two stories (with another book) per day. A lot of her stories are set in the Boston area.

Now that I finally finished it, I am reading BLACK IS THE NIGHT, an anthology edited by Maxim Jakubowski, featuring new stories "inspired" by the writings of Cornell Woolrich. I liked the Joe Lansdale but thought Martin Edwards's story went on too long for the somewhat obvious payoff.

I am also finally starting the newest Crippen & Landru book that arrived before we left, THE KINDLING SPARK: Early Tales of Mystery, Horror, and Adventure by John Dickson Carr. These are early stories written when he was a teenager, apparently.

TracyK said...

I recently purchased two books of her short stories in ebook editions. HONEYDEW and HOW TO FALL. I haven't read any of the stories yet though.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Would like to read the Woolrich odes.