Wednesday, September 08, 2021

First Wednesday BooK Review: BRING YOUR BAGGAGE AND DON'T PACK LIGHT, Helen Ellis

 


Books of humorous essays don't always work for me because my funny bone and the author's might be different. I am not a big fan of blue humor, for instance, and walked out of a comedy club once for that reason. I also prefer a writer that makes fun of herself and her life rather than other people's lives.

Helen Ellis, although a generation younger than me, captures most of the absurdities of female life in the early 21st century. These essays look at cosmetic surgery, menopause, childbirth, female camaraderie, garage sales, aging parents, marriage, being a non-driver, playing poker. I found them well-written, well-observed and kind. Highly recommended. 

For more First Wednesday Book Reviews, see Barrie Summy's website.

8 comments:

Barrie said...

I ordered this book from the library. I'm going to order Justice by Larry Watson (from your short story post). Both books sound terrific. And I do like short stories. Thank you for reviewing!

Lucy said...

I want to read this book just from the title! :)

Glad you liked it. Thanks for reviewing.

Todd Mason said...

Cool. I might've liked the comedian more than you did, but some are just, shall we put it, overblown, and the men at least as often as the women. Some non-binaries and others, too.

This does sound amusing...I still need to see the rest of LET HIM GO, and should also try reading some Watson, if I don't have an entry or two in one or another magazine or antho floating around already.

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't tend to pick up short stories, either. I like to get immersed in a character, and setting. I like snuggling into bed at night and settling in to a different world.

Todd Mason said...

But how about a linked series of short stories, such as the Watson book Patti reviews above? (Top of blog, for now.)

Sarah Laurence said...

I agree about preferring self-deprecating humor to making fun of other people. Thanks for the recommendation as those topics are interesting.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I do like books of essays (sorry I forgot to comment when looking at the short story post yesterday), so will look for this one.

Powell River Books said...

Pretty much topics that would hit home for me. - Margy