Friday, September 03, 2021

FFB: Let Him Go: Larry Watson


(from the archives)

I am a big Larry Watson fan and LET HIM GO did not disappoint. It is a great followup to books like WHITE CROSSES and MONTANA: 1948.

After their adult son is killed in an accident, his widowed wife marries again and leaves the Blackledge's home to go with her new husband to Montana. She takes their grandson with her, of course, and therein lies the problem.

"With you or without you," Margaret Blackledge, the grandmother insists, and at these words George knows his only choice is to follow her.
 

George takes to the road with Margaret by his side, tracking down the Weboy clan quickly. When Margaret tries to convince Lorna to return home to North Dakota, bringing little Jimmy with her, the Blackledges find themselves mixed up with the entire Weboy clan, a horrific family determined not to give the boy up without a fight. It's more about possession than love with a family like this. 

This slim volume contains a heart-pounding story, unforgettable characters, terrific atmosphere and some of the most beautiful prose you will ever read. I liked it almost as much as MONTANA: 1948, making it still one of my favorite books. Oh, to write like Mr. Watson.  

This is a movie now with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane. Pretty good one for me. 

 

11 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I like Larry Watson's writing, Patti, although I admit I've not read this one. It sounds like a solid read, though - glad you enjoyed it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes. And the movie does it justice.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I haven't seen it yet, but either Netflix or HBO has been showing the movie version. Or maybe it is Amazon Prime. I know I have it on my list. I like Watson's writing too.

George said...

I've seen Larry Watson books, but never picked them up. I will now!

Todd Mason said...

HBO has it, at least. I started watching it the other day, and had to do something else, but Diane Lane and Kevin Costner are well-cast, and there isn't a Lane film I won't give a fair shake to.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes. She is the epitome of dignity.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I've been a fan of hers since A LITTLE ROMANCE.

Todd Mason said...

And she's both talented and gorgeous, and my near-exact contemporary. Yes, yet another media crush.

TracyK said...

I either have to read Montana, 1948 or this book, since you like this author so much.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Montana 1948 is the better book. Or at least the more profound one for me.

Rick Robinson said...

I’ll have to try Watson. I don’t have any of the fancy channels so the movie is out of reach.