Friday, April 05, 2019

FFB, GO WITH ME, Castle Freeman



Go With Me tells the story of a young woman's quest for help in dealing with an extremely dangerous man almost entirely in dialog. And what dialog it is, managing to be utterly natural and wholly poetic at the same time. I don't think the vagaries and parlance of conversation have even been put down on paper more convincingly.

This lean book is funny, scary, touching, and unpredictable. It reminds me of both Daniel Woodrell and Cormac McCarthy. But in the end, it's Castle Freeman's totally unique voice and humanity that makes this such a fine book.

Isn't it terrific when you discover a new writer? What was the last book someone recommended to you that was as good as promised?

9 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I do like powerful dialogue, Patti. I have to admit, I've not (yet) read this one, but it sounds absorbing.

Todd Mason said...

Hm. I'm usually pretty happy with the recommendations I follow...not being impressed is more uncommon. Let's cite THE BEND IN THE END OF THE ROAD by Barry Malzberg, but having read his previous books of essays, I knew what I was in for!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Don't think I have read anything by Malzberg.

George said...

My daughter Katie recommended HOME FIRES by Kamila Shamsie. Powerful novel!

Todd Mason said...

Your best bet, aside from some of Malzberg's short fiction in crime-fiction magazines and anthologies, such as "Agony Column", would probably be his novel-length CF collaborations with Bill Pronzini, such as THE RUNNING OF THE BEASTS.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks. I like Pronzini.
Haven't heard of HOME FIRES.

Rick Robinson said...

The Posadas County mystery series, recommended by Jeff Meyerson. I just finished book 6. Love them. The first book is HEARTSHOT.

Mathew Paust said...

You've sold me on Freeman, Patti. I've just downloaded All That I Have, a cop story that sounds fascinating. Couple of years ago a poet/librarian friend recommended The Dig, by Cynan Jones. Blew me away.

TracyK said...

That is an easy question to answer: A KILLING IN QUAIL COUNTY by Coleson James, recommended by Rick Robinson. Also, Brian Busby recommended THE TIN FLUTE by Gabrielle Roy. Both books were very impressive.