Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Forgotten Movies: THE ITALIAN JOB

 Publication Day for I BRING SORROW.

Thanks to THE RAP SHEET and J. Kingston Pierce for allowing me to talk about the story behind the story.

My Favorite Short Stories on Kattomic Energy 

How I Came to Write Um Peixe Grande at B.V. Lawson's blog

FIFTY YEARS OF READING MYSTERIES, Criminal Element 

One Bite at a Time Interview (Dana King)





I cannot believe I have never seen this one till now, but not a note rang familiar. Michael Caine, newly released from jail, is called upon to rob a busload of gold bouillon and puts together the usual team, including a computer expert (Bennny Hill) to pull it off. Mass traffic confusion allows the crime to take place. This is as as much comedy as heist and truly entertaining. I do wish the actresses hired had some ability to act however. Noel Coward is amusing as a bon vivant still incarcerated.The ending is brilliant.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good choice, Patti! I admit, I've not seen it. But I've heard good things about it.

George said...

I loved THE ITALIAN JOB when I first saw it. The remake isn't nearly as good.

pattinase (abbott) said...

So I have heard, George. Not a bit Wahlberg fan anyway.

Steve Oerkfitz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Todd Mason said...

And Wahlberg not the worst aspect of the remake. (Seth Green's performance and certainly his character might be.)

I've seen the original once, and wonder if the remake was somehow keeping the original off tv. Probably some sort of rights fracas instead.

I've lost track of time! I BRING SORROW released now! Congratulations!

Charles Gramlich said...

I remember the Italian job. mainly for the car stuff