Tuesday, June 23, 2015

 I watched THE STATION AGENT again yesterday as I ironed my way into oblivion. And, I thought, I must have posted about that one before. And here is is from 2013. I swear Peter Drinkage doesn't look a day older.

 

 My Ten Favorite Quirky Forgotten Movies(from the archives)

1980-Gloria, directed by John Cassavetes, starring Gene Rowlands-A mobster's widow protects a orphaned boy. Love this one.

1994 Shallow Graves-directed by Danny Boyle, Kerry Fox, Christopher Eccleston, Ian McGregor, three roommates need a fourth and don't bargain for what they get.

1977-Three Woman-directed by Robert Altman. Sissy Spacek, Shelly Duval, Janice Rule-Three women exchange personas as they forge a family.

1981-Cutter's Way-directed by Ivan Passer-great novel and movie. Jeff Bridges and John Heard. Bridges witnesses a murder and goes after the killer.

1996-Hard Eight, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, Philip Baker Hall, John C. Reilly, A newly minted gambler runs afoul of a femme fatale

1996 Day Trippers-directed by Greg Mottola -A family takes a road trip into the city when a rogue love letter falls into a wife's hands.

2009 Cairo Time. directed by Ruba Madda Patricial Clarkson plays a woman alone in Cairo who has a whirlwind romance.

2003 The Station Agent, directed by Thomas McCarthy-Patricia Clarkson, Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannevale- Three lonely people connect.

2007 Lars and the Real Girl-Directed by Craug Gillespie. Ryan Gosling. A young man cannot be dissuaded from his love for a blowup doll.

1974-CockFighter-directed by Monte Hellman-Warren Oates, Harry Dean Stanton-a man years to be the world's greatest cock fighter.

8 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

Didn't they recently redo GLORIA? That makes no sense to me.

I must admit this is not a list I'd pick, for the most part. I did like THE DAYTRIPPERS. CUTTER'S WAY was based on the Newton Thornburg book CUTTER AND BONE (an alternate title for the film), which I read in 1977. John Heard hasn't aged well. I guess I wasn't in the mood for CAIRO TIME as we found it not as good as expected. And I've never been a Robert Altman fan, with occasional exceptions.

Nice list, though.

Jeff M.

Todd Mason said...

Not so recently, the Sharon Stone dumbed-down remake of GLORIA.

Deb said...

I tend to go into a "fugue state" when I iron too. Unless it's something complicated with lots of pleats and darts, you can usually let your mind roam. I generally listen to music while I iron.

Yvette said...

I've only seem a couple of these, Patti. I loved CAIRO TIME but not so much THE STATION AGENT which I found a bit boring. I've been thinking I would maybe like to see it again one of these days.

TracyK said...

I saw Cutter's Way and Hard Eight and liked both of them. I think I saw Shallow Grave but it was too dark for me.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Not seen Lars or Cairo Time. liked all the others except Gloria which features probably the worst performance ever by a child actor.

George Kelley said...

I like all of Robert Altman's films. THREE WOMEN is special.

J F Norris said...

From this list I think LARS AND THE BIG GIRL is the most original and surprising. I've talked about endlessly to friends who think I'm a very strange person for loving it so much. I can't stand SHALLOW GRAVE. Very much in Tarantino's "Violent death can be funny!" style of filmmaking that I loathe.