Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Forgotten TV: SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR



Although I never found the Smothers Brothers all that funny and I never found their singing all that good. But they managed to put together a fun show that we watched every week for the two years they were on CBS. The show became hip to watch for young people because of the focus of the humor and the youth and prestige of the musical guests.

They ran amuck of the network constantly and were pulled for their anti-war stance. That I  really did admire. How many entertainers use the power they have to try and stop a war? Despite being pulled in the middle of a season, the show won an Emmy for best writing that year.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I find the Smothers Brothers comedy hilarious, and I admired their courage. Judy and I never missed an episode of this show.

J F Norris said...

I always found it surprising that Tommy Smothers who plays the dopey whiney brother persona on stage was the most vociferous of the two when dealing with the network executives. And I think also he was the financial brains behind the duo. Listening to the two of them recall their TV days on some talk show I was impressed with the real Tom Smothers.

Jerry House said...

Could never forget. Love them and loved this show.

Todd Mason said...

Two of my first records were SmoBro records...and they helped me learn to love that medium...

David Cranmer said...

I've enjoyed the clips I've seen of the show.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I absolutely loved this show!! :-)