Wednesday, July 20, 2011

END OF EVERYTHING DAY


And I know I will be stressed out over: will people turn out, will we have enough food, will Borders still be there, will Megan's flight from Phoenix be on time, will the books be there, will they have enough chairs, will the map from the store to the party be clear enough, will the three hours sleep she has had be enough, will it be so friggin' hot, none one will venture outside?

Will people show up?

That's always the worst fear for writers and I have seen it happen. Playing to an empty house. Once at our local Borders, a crowd of ten listened to Elmore Leonard. The store only advertised the event inside the store. Of course, Leonard wasn't much bothered and talked for an hour. I love that man.

Oh, and incidentally, thanks to those who came out to hear Megan over the years.

You know how it is. Wish us luck. None of the Abbotts are comfortable in the limelight.

If you have enjoyed a recently written novel, go say so on Amazon. That may be the only place people will learn about books soon. If Amazon is going to be the only place that counts, let's make it count.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I have the book on order.

I am notorious for being terrible at speaking in public, so good thing I'm not an author on tour. I've been on a few panels at conventions but it's never easy. Jackie is the one comfortable speaking in public. She has the ability to make people laugh, even reluctant teachers.

Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

I always worry about authors having to sit there alone. At conventions I sometimes have bought books to get signed by authors I know with short lines while everyone else is lined up for Lee Child or Michael Connelly.

Another problem is (how shall I put it?) less than gracious authors. You have to love people like Dave Barry who will sign anything, pose for pictures and take the time to talk to everyone, no matter how long the line.

Jeff M.

Al Tucher said...

Parnell Hall made a hilarious video in which he sits next to Mary Higgins Clark at a book signing and gets zero action. I guess there's something to be said for confronting your fears straight on. (At least for someone else doing it!)

George said...

I'm sure everything will go well, Patti! Megan will charm the crowd.

Joe Barone said...

What we won't do for our children! Good luck to you both.

David Cranmer said...

Best of luck to Megan and you bet on that Amazon review. Her book is sitting on my desk and you can count on that review.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

I hope it goes well for all of you. I feel in my heart of hearts it will be wonderful.

I hated this part of book promotion but she's been doing it for a bit and you get into it.

Lynn Crawford is going to try to come. Her son's baseball game is at the same time.

I wish I could be there.

Charles Gramlich said...

Oh it's definitely scary, but I bet lots of folks will come. She's getting a big name, and being in TIME! I think you'll have no worries.

Anonymous said...

Patti - Sending all sorts of positive thoughts and good wishes your way (and hers!).

Anonymous said...

Patti - you go and have a wonderful time with your daughter. Whoever the audience is, they are there because they admire Megan and her writing. Fun wishes to you!
Michel
(who also dislikes limelight)

Gerard said...

Don't sweat it. I just realize dmy library's copy was cataloged as YA. So have several other libraries.

Yvette said...

Hope it's all a smashing hit. Hope you both have a grand time.

Anonymous said...

It was 104 in Phoenix yesterday. Whew.

by the way, it was 71 in Portland......

pattinase (abbott) said...

It was only a few degrees less here.

Jack Bates said...

Patti-
It was wonderful. Thanks for the e-vite.