Wednesday, May 04, 2011

First Wednesday Book Review, Emily Alone, Stewart O'Nan

FOR A FASCINATING PIECE ABOUT LA NOIRE, the new game and anthology, go here.
******************************************************************************
I am a huge Stewart O'Nan fan and this book certainly lived up to my expectations. It is probably not for everyone though. It is the story of an elderly widow and a few rather lonely months in her life. It reminded me of MRS. BRIDGE for those who remember that wonderful novel.
Emily buries friends, entertains her family, frets about perceived slights, remembers both happier and unhappier times, cares for her dog, spends time with her cleaning woman and sister-in-law. Worries about her children.

And yet these small events add up to a life. Never for a moment do you doubt Emily exists as an elderly woman, quite aware of what lies ahead. She is neither better nor worse than the rest of us. O'Nan captures her so perfectly you forget for long periods that a man is inside her head.

To write like him....

For more review, visit Barrie Summy.

19 comments:

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Can't wait to read this. I remember Mrs. Bridge very well and I loved it.

George said...

I loved MRS. BRIDGE so I'll have to pick up a copy of EMILY ALONE. You're right about Stewart O'Nan, Patti. Brilliant writer!

pattinase (abbott) said...

You will like this too, I wager. It's all small moments. And I love it that she is often annoying and wrong-headed.

Scott D. Parker said...

You have praised O'Nan before. I simply *must* read one of his books. If memory serves, didn't he write something with Stephen King?

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Thanks for the heads up. O'Nan's "Speed Queen" and "Last Night at the Lobster" are top reads as well.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love Speed Queen and Last Night. Also Snow Angels and A Prayer for the Dying.
He wrote something with King although I have been told it didn't work out particularly well. He also wrote a book about a circus fire.
If you only read one, read Last Night at the Lobster. Amazing.

Charles Gramlich said...

I find it very hard to write female characters so my hat goes off to him.

Joe Barone said...

I've put this on my list. It sounds especially interesting.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wonder if women have less trouble writing men than men having writing women. The reason I say this is because men seem to occupy more of the world and are more transparent.
I think anyone over a certain age will find this novel rewarding.

Barrie said...

You gotta give to an author who can convincingly write the opposite gender. I recently finished a book written by a man with a female protag. It didn't work at all. So, I'll happily try O'Nan! Thanks for joining in

Sarah Laurence said...

Sounds terrific. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bee said...

I don't know this novel, or author, but I adored Mrs. Bridge. I think of her (and that novel) often. Knowing that you like Elizabeth Jane Howard as well convinces me that we share the same taste in books.

Beth Yarnall said...

Oh, I've never heard of Steward O'Nan. I love this book review club! There are so many great authors out there and so little time to read them. Thanks for the review.

Todd Mason said...

O'Nan is so vastly better a writer than King that the collaboration was not a promising one except commercially. A bit like yoking Joanna Russ (RIP) with Marilyn French, or Joe Lansdale with Michael Avallone...though I wouldn't mind seeing what came of that last...

Alyssa Goodnight said...

It is always interesting to read when a man writes a woman I think.

Did you review Mrs. Bridge here a few months ago? Sounds familiar.

Anita Page said...

He is a wonderful writer. Emily Alone, by the way, is a sort of sequel to Wish You Were Here, pub. in 2002. Also, just saw this: O'Nan will be interviewed today by Terry Gross on Fresh Air on NPR.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, thanks, Anita.

Todd Mason said...

We could only wish he was being interviewed by a good interviewer!

Linda McLaughlin said...

This sounds like a great character study. Glad you enjoyed it.

Linda