Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Story into novel--or not

I am mulling over the idea of trying to turn an unpublished short story of mine into a novel. Actually it was published as a flash and may still be published as a short story. I asked on DorothyL for examples of this being done and got several answers. One, in particular, is available right on my bookshelves.
My short story is about a photographer that begins taking pictures of dead men in Detroit. Her "procurer" is a mortician. I like the ending so if I expand it, it would be from the middle out. Advice is welcomed. The thing I need to avoid is writing it as stories instead of chapters. I have the results of that last time I did that wasting awawy on my hard drive. Why is it so hard to see the forest?

4 comments:

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

I know this has been done many times in science fiction. What mystery examples were you given? I'm curious.

Anonymous said...

One of the best examples of this is Lawrence Block's amazing short story "By Dawn's Early Light" which was turned into his amazing novel "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes." Also, Sean Doolittle's newste book "The Cleanup" is based on his PWG story "Worth." The book I'm currently working on is based on one of my short stories, so I say go for it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And I am going for it so far. Seems to be writing itself like it's been gestating in my brain. Whoopee.

anne frasier said...

ooh, i love what you've shared of the plot.