Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Nightly News

Every night my husband fills me in on the network coverage of the day's events and how right wing it has gotten. I can't bear to watch any of it. When did working class people decide gay marriage was more important than social security, pensions and health care?

Saw The Prestige and Flags of Our Fathers. Both were okay but certainly predictable. Best thing in either was Christian Bale. I have a problem with movies about magicians. If I doubt the magic on the stage in front of me, how can I not doubt it on the screen?

At dinner, we watched the final scene from The Shining. What are your favorite Jack Nicholson movies? I loved The Departed but thought he was the weak link in it. When did he become a caricature of himself?

6 comments:

Steve Allan said...

Oh, Jack was not the weak link in The Departed, he was absolutely fantastic in it. If there was a weakness, it was the coincidence that Damon and DiCaprio were sleeping with the same woman. That was a bit much.

Anyway, best Nicholson roles/scenes:
Prizzi's Honor
Chinatown
Ordering toast in Five Easy Pieces
Singing in Tommy
The "women" monologue in The Witches of Eastwick

pattinase (abbott) said...

Okay. I'm gonna have to see if I can get by the grin and leer and see a real performance. I have to admit I rewatched Something's Gotta Give the other night, a movie I originally hated, and suddenly saw this terrifically touching performance from him.
My husband and I were just talking about that toast scene and its condescending attitude toward the waitress was hard to take. I don;t think I ever saw Tommy. I'd put One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest on it.They had to be sleeping with same woman to get the doppelganger effect, I think.

anne frasier said...

i can't watch the news either, patti. this year i quit getting a newspaper and when my television broke i didn't replace it. i feel a constant despair. :(

on a happier note: love the shining.

:D

anne frasier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Without a doubt, jack's best performance is in As Good as it Gets, though Something's Gotta Give is right up there.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I agree about Something's Gotta Give. I didn't get his performance the first time because it's an atypical role. But saw it last week and thought he was amazing.
Also loved Chinatown, What About Schmidt, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Five Easy Pieces and The Last Detail.