Thursday, May 21, 2015

Mike Dennis' Bookshelf

What books are currently on your nightstand?

I just finished Prohibition, a 1930s crime tale by Terrence McCauley. Next up is James Crumley's The Last Good Kiss. Then there's The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy, followed by Get Carter and Jack Carter's Law by Ted Lewis.

Who is your favorite novelist of all times?

Hard to choose just one. Jim Thompson would be right up there, along with James Ellroy, Douglas Fairbairn, and VS Naipaul.

What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

Monty Hall's biography might surprise you, because it certainly surprises me every time I see it. I bought it over 30 years ago, because somehow he insinuated his way into my life.
                                                                                                        
Who is your favorite fictional hero?

Since I've just narrated the audiobook of I, The Jury, I'd have to say Mike Hammer.

What book do you return to?

Jim Thompson's The Grifters. From the first sentence to the last, it washes over me like baptismal waters. I could also easily reread any of Vicki Hendricks' books.

5 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

As far as I'm concerned you cannot go wrong with THE LAST GOOD KISS.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

On my shelf for 20 years and I never seem to get to it. Also GET CARTER.

Deb said...

I love how organized your books appear to be. Alas, I cannot say the same for mine. Reasonably-close alphabetization is the closest I can come!

Dana King said...

You're having a great run, with PROHIBITION, THE LAST GOOD KISS, and THE BIG NOWHERE (which I read only a few weeks ago). I need to get to the Carter books, especially after what I learned about them at NoirCon.

Mike Dennis said...

Patti--
Thanks so much for the opportunity to appear on your site. I recently finished THE LAST GOOD KISS and it lives up to its reputation. You should make a point of reading it.

Dana--
I actually got those books at NoirCon and I'm just now getting around to them.