Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Forgotten Movies: STARTING OVER



Caught this film a few weeks ago and was reminded that Burt Reynolds, in the proper vehicle, could nail a role--as he does here as the diffident, damaged, deserted husband of Candace Bergen. It is amusing in a low-keyed way and takes its time presenting its characters. Jill Clayburgh plays the more than slightly neurotic kindergarten teacher, nearly as timid as Burt. And Candace is quite funny in a role that probably won her MURPHY BROWN. A nice diversion. Am reminded that once upon a time they wrote romances for people in their thirties/forties that were playing people in their thirties/forties.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember seeing this one in the theater and then reading the novel. The novel's pretty good, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've heard of this one but haven't ever seen it. Sounds as though I should.

Anonymous said...

What Bill said. I haven't seen the movie since that original showing.

Jeff M.

Kent Morgan said...

If I remember correctly, the novel was written by Dan Wakefield. I'm sure I have a hardcover sitting in a box somewhere. I'll bet that Bill Crider could find a paperback in his collection without any trouble and post it on his site. Up to the challenge, Bill?