Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Life at the Theater: One Man, Two Guvnors





I was lucky enough to see this last month in New York and if there was ever a case that one man stole the show and the hearts of the audiences, this was it. James Corden plays a man trying to satisfy two employers while also getting himself fed. Lots of fun in this British transport. It's based on the older play Servant of Two Masters (Italian: Arlecchino servitore di due padroni), a 1743 Commedia dell'arte comedy by the Venetian playwright Carlo Goldoni. Audience participation is a big part of the show.

James Corden may look familiar to some of you from the British series Stacy and Gavin, where he played Gavn's pal.

James Corden won a Tony Award for this, beating out Philip Seymour Hoffman among others, on Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you you'd love it. I know you liked SALESMAN but I was really happy James Corden won.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

How could you not love this guy!

Anonymous said...

You have such rich theatre knowledge!!! I don't always have a lot to contribute here but I do learn from this series, so thanks.

iluvcinema said...

Smithie!!

I really need to catch this!