Saturday, June 16, 2012

Drabble Challenge

I drew from the names and Jim Harrington popped up. Please contact me regarding a prize. Thanks to all who played in my yard today.













A drabble is a one-hundred word story. Write one based one of these three pictures--or go your own way.

Here are the stories. At the end of the day, I will draw one for a prize.

Kieran Shea

Mustache Royale


Blindfolds yanked, Walter Cronkite and Captain Kangaroo find themselves in a boxing ring. Lights doused, the smoky abyss roars around them.

The referee taps their gloves.

“Keep it clean, boys….”

The bell clangs, an Kangaroo launches a right cross. The beloved, late CBS new anchor wilts on impact.

“This is not the way it should be….”

Kangaroo chops and chops, muffling,“Noo! If-izzz! If-zzz! If-zzzzzz!”

Cronkite covers up. Weeping.

An uppercut lifts Cronkite up and then down to the canvas. Captain Kangaroo removes his mouth guard and heaves.

“I said, that’s the way it is, you dumb-ass….”

Rick Ollerman

I was more lost with the map than I was without it. Smartphones were supposed to keep you out of crap like this. I saw a show once where the survivalist dude smashed his binoculars to get the lenses out so he could start a fire. I don't need a fire, I need the binoculars.

But only if I can find the damned house before someone finds me. Which is ironic considering I was looking for people out here I couldn't find. Maybe I should give the money back, forget the job.

I'd still need to find my car, though.

Patti Abbott

“Hear there’s a parade Saturday,” Cassidy said.

“Bank’s open till noon,” Ferguson said. “Good a time as any.”

“Still got the costumes?”

“If they fit. Been living the good life since Tucson.”

By ten, the streets were filling with people.

“Gonna work out,” Cassidy said, heading toward the bank. “Stick ‘em up,” he yelled, bursting in. Both men sported blue noses, red wigs, flopping shoes.

“Didn’t notice Dalmatians and poodles on the billboard,” Ferguson said as they fled, looking at the parade of costumed dogs

“Where you clowns think you’re going?” the cop asked, hand coming down on their collars.









No Complications, Michel Williams


“Look, I'm serious, my toes feel fat."

The doctor glanced at his watch. "They look fine but surgery will takecare of everything, anyway."

She shrugged, he must be right.

Soon after the operation her big toe disappeared. In rapid succession the little toes followed. By the time she saw the doctor again, her ankle had disappeared.

"How're you doing?"

"Oh fine," she replied.

He checked his clipboard, "Color good, breathing normal." He patted her shoulder, congratulating both of them on the recovery.

That night in the shower watching her thigh disappear, she smiled. She was fine. Really.


Jack Bates
John Brooke
S. Jayant
Paul Brazill
Loren Eaton
Jim Harrington
Jerry House
Cooper Jennings
Rob Kitchin
Kate Laity
Brian Lindenmuth
Seana
Stephen D. Rogers
Sandra Seaman
Katherine Tomlinson
Prashant Trikkanad
Al Tucher

24 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, I thought we had to read something by Margaret Drabble! My mistake.

/Closes copy of A SUMMER BIRDCAGE.

pattinase (abbott) said...

One of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

So far these are really good. I like the first one in particular.

I liked Drabble's biography of Arnold Bennett, better than I like Bennett to be honest.


Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, yes. That was excellent.

Deb said...

Apparently, Drabble and her sister A.S. Byatt have a Joan Fontaine-Olivia de Havilland feud going on.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I'm not surprised. Such different styles.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Patti, thanks for this challenging opportunity. I had fun writing it. In terms of reading, a drabble weekend ahead. I have never read Margaret Drabble and I didn't know she was A.S. Byatt's sister. I am familiar with Byatt's work, only just.

Paul D Brazill said...

All three are damned fine but the fat toes really gets to me. Beaut.

Charles Gramlich said...

lol. good uns!

Katherine Tomlinson said...

Clowns! Hilarious.
Thanks for setting this challenge up. As always, a lot of fun.

Kieran Shea said...

patti:

am i too late?


Mustache Royale


Blindfolds yanked, Walter Cronkite and Captain Kangaroo find themselves in a boxing ring. Lights doused, the smoky abyss roars around them.

The referee taps their gloves.

“Keep it clean, boys….”

The bell clangs, an Kangaroo launches a right cross. The beloved, late CBS new anchor wilts on impact.

“This is not the way it should be….”

Kangaroo chops and chops, muffling,“Noo! If-izzz! If-zzz! If-zzzzzz!”

Cronkite covers up. Weeping.

An uppercut lifts Cronkite up and then down to the canvas. Captain Kangaroo removes his mouth guard and heaves.

“I said, that’s the way it is, you dumb-ass….”

Kieran Shea said...

btw, patti...

rode my bike by THE FLANDERS HOTEL this a.m.

:)

pattinase (abbott) said...

It has occurred to me that I will never see OC again. Never smell salt, french fries, fudge and funnel cakes wafting across the boardwalk. Never get to ride a bike a.m. before ten down those boards. Never play miniature golf or grab for the brass ring. Too bad.

Kieran Shea said...

now i'm sad

pattinase (abbott) said...

But I am going to La Jolla for six weeks in January. So I will do my surfing there.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Congratulations, Jim Harrington! A worthy prize too.

Anonymous said...

Great stories, love the clown line. Thanks for posting mine, Patti.
Michel

sandra seamans said...

Oh, I loved all of these, Patti! They all made me chuckle. Excellent drabbles!

Jerry House said...

Good stories from everyone. There's some real talent out there!

Todd Mason said...

Good response. Sorry I've been too out of it when not (and too often when) working to participate.

Al Tucher said...

This was fun!

seana graham said...

Kieren, a matchup right out of my childhood--and one I'd never have thought of, but perfect.

Rick, i think that is pretty much how it would be for me if I decided to undertake a life of crime.

Patti, great punchline.

And Michel, great opener. Fat toes. Who'd have thought?

seana graham said...

Oh, and Al, since I can't find a place to comment on your blog--nice grim tale, with a groaner of a punchline. And I mean that in a good way.

Loren Eaton said...

Love the last line of your piece, Patti.