Sunday, June 10, 2012

Guess Who?


Guess Who?

She brought me countless hours of pleasure in my youth as she seemed to embody what being an adult was like. She is only 22 in this photo.

Yes. Doris Day.

She began as a dancer and when an accident cut her dancing career short, she switched seamlessly to singing--her family needed her support.

What is your favorite Doris Day movie? I am opting for PILLOW TALK although before she made this series of sexy comedies, she made an series of girl next door musicals. She could do it all. People disparaged her movies with Rock Hudson but they hold up a lot better than other movies of the time. Their charm endures for me.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit - I have no clue.


Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

Neither do I.

Ron Scheer said...

Singer. Initials are DD, right?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yep.

George said...

I'm guessing Doris Day.

Anonymous said...

Love Me or Leave Me was an eye opener after the sappy Rock Hudson movies. It also brings to mind Oscar Levant's famous line: "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

As for the worst, there were several later in the 60's: Caprice was godawful.

Jeff M.

Naomi Johnson said...

Pillow Talk is probably my second favorite. That Touch of Mink is my favorite.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That is definitely darker. I like SEND ME NO FLOWERS too. Rock gets to shine more in that one.

Charles Gramlich said...

I remember her from later years. Thought she was a very good actor.

Anonymous said...

She lives quietly in Carmel, the last of the Big Band singers. My memory is not of film, but of her magnificent Sentimental Journey.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. In SEND ME NO FLOWERS even Tony Randall overshadows Doris Day.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Her early big band music is terrific. Later the style of singing didn't suit her voice as well.

Deb said...

No love for MIDNIGHT LACE, her foray into the "women in peril" genre? I also thought she was great in TEACHER'S PET with Clark Gable.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have never seen that one. And I love CG too.

Anonymous said...

Didn't she do PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES?

pattinase (abbott) said...

A very painful memory for me. My grandfather died coming home from seeing it.But I don't hold it against Doris.