Wednesday, March 17, 2010

THE SUMMING UP, Friday, March 17, 2010

Hopefully I have not missed anyone here, but I am dubious. I apologize to Steven Thompson for not running his bio. It didn't show up for some reason. I have added it now through complicated machinations. Trying to do this from afar is a hassle, so I am very glad George volunteered to do this in May for the three weeks I am gone. Anyway...

Paul Bishop, John Mcnab, John Buchan
Bill Crider, The Soft Arms of Death, Richard Hayward
Mike Dennis, Swag, Elmore Leonard
Loren Eaton, Motherless Brooklyn, Jonathan Lethem
Martin Edwards, Sudden Departures, Jonathan Ross
Ed Gorman, Trauma, Graham Masterton
Randy Johnson, "Drag" Harlan, Charles Alden Seltzer
George Kelley, The White Bikini, Carter Brown
Chris La Tray, Evidence-NYPD Crime Scene Photographs, Luc Sante
B.V. Lawson, The Port of London, Josephine Bell
Evan Lewis, Sabotage, Clive D Adams
Steve Lewis and Marvin Lachman, I Wake Up Screaming, Steve Fisher
Todd Mason, The Meteor, Friedrich Durrenmatt
Scott Parker, Gateway, Frederik Pohl
Eric Peterson, Call It Courage, Armstrong Sperry
Richard Prosch, Blizzard, Roy V. Alleman.
Rick Robinson, Ringworld, Larry Niven
Kerrie Smith, Seven Suspects, Michael Innes
R.T. Dirtmouth, Alan Singer
Stephen Thompson, BATMAN VS THREE VILLAINS OF DOOM, Winston Lyons

10 comments:

Richard Prosch said...

I posted BLIZZARD by Roy V. Alleman.

Todd Mason said...

Sorry I didn't realize I hadn't realized I'd skipped the Batman novel review.

Actually, Donald Barthelme's deadpan-parodic "The Joker's Greatest Triumph," in THE NEW YORKER in 1963, features not only Batman and other characters from the comics continuity, but much of the story is devoted to a conversation between Wayne/Batman and Fredric Brown, presumably Barthelme's somewhat skewed tribute to Brown's intentionally arch humorous vignettes. The probability of it being an (if not the primary) inspiration for the approach taken for the ABC television series is great.

wv: shalom. Indeed.

Todd Mason said...

I shall attempt to atone for my first redundant sentence above by noting that Thompson is missing from the roundup list above...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Maybe George will do better in May. I seem to be unable to get it right without persistent cues.

Todd Mason said...

Blogspot is tempramental enough w/o having to use a Notebook to ride herd on it...

George said...

WORDPRESS gets cranky, too, Todd. But I'll do my best to fill in for Patti in May.

Todd Mason said...

"Let George do it," then, indeed.

Booksteve said...

The weirdest part is that my bio WAS there..right from the beginning last Friday. I saw it myself. That said, I got an email from someone asking if that was my review because she didn't see any byline OR bio! Don't ask me. I saw it.
StevenThompson

pattinase (abbott) said...

I know. I checked on Friday morning and then it disappeared although it still showed up on my end. I had to cut and paste it on notepad and repaste it from there. Maybe it was the storms on the east coast.

Charles Gramlich said...

Some good stuff here.